illinois towns that allow backyard chickens

We let our neighbors in on it before deciding to keep the hens. We also always share extra tomatoes, zucc, cucmbers, etc. from our garden. So when I mentioned hens, they thought....."We'll get fresh EGGS!" My neighbors are fantastic & enjoy throwing kitchen scraps over the fence. The neighbor egg tax is a small price to pay. The 4H was my back-up plan in case of a jogger or dog walker. One on my neighbors is on the village board & helped get the ball rolling to legalize backyard chickens. I emailed info around to increase awareness & gain support.

Fox Lake, IL allows backyard chickens as of December of last year. A group organized and was able to convince the village to change the law. Now we can have 4 hens on a regular city lot (.25 acre) or 6 hens on an acre or more. No roosters.

People in town have had hens on the sly for years prior to this law change but now they are legal. A good win for chicken enthusiasts and directly a result of motivated individuals lobbying the city (and a mayor change helped ;) ).

I am looking at purchasing a home in Island Lake, Illinois. Does anyone know about the laws there? I have 3 hens.

Thank you for any information you can provide me with.
1f604.png

I live in Fisher, small town 17 miles from CU, which both have ordinances allowing backyard hens. Currently working with our village board to change existing ordinance prohibiting backyard hens. It is a known fact at this time that multiple residents with chickens, but if know one complains.
I am looking for sustainability. I garden, can and trying to work towards an organic way of living in an urban setting. Looking for support and suggestions.

Meeting tonight was good. Judiciary committee meeting before next months meeting to draw up new ordinance that would allow hens within the village. Ordinance to be introduced and voted on at Sept meeting.

Meeting tonight was good. Judiciary committee meeting before next months meeting to draw up new ordinance that would allow hens within the village. Ordinance to be introduced and voted on at Sept meeting.
Hope all goes well. Our town passed a law to allow chickens. It's great for anyone new to poultry & those living on small lots near the town's center. For people who already own poultry, the new laws are more restrictive.

ie - Before: coop had to be min 75 ft from closest neighbor's house and 100 ft from any public walkway - like sidewalk, alley, etc. No permits were needed. If no one complains, no problems.

Now: coop has to be 20' from the property line. Great for people with small lots, but bad for people who already have coops. Mine is over 100 ft from the closest neighbor's house, but only 10 ft from the property line. Roos are now illegal, but before we only had a "noise ordinance." In order to get the new $75 permit, I would have to move my coop & run to meet the new requirements. I'd also have to give permission for the city inspectors to visit at any time. I have kids & dogs and do not want strangers walking in my yard without knowing it. Personally, I like to have visitors - but not without an invitation.

Back
Top Bottom