Illinois...

Since we are switching gears to eggs, Wanted to throw my 2 cents in:gig
Well actually a QUARTER:thumbsup
View attachment 1910682
I had 2 of the small ones already for a breakfast sandie.
The top egg for size comparison is from my OEGH bantie.
Still pretty large for such a small chicken BTW. I have all hard working girls :thin the Cave-Coop:old
Was finding some small eggs in the nest box, and figured they were from the OEGH. The truth is,,,,,,,, my SERAMA from Faraday laid it. Not sure which one,,, the older, or the younger:idunno
Now we have to rename them from " The Useless Chickens" to
"Diet size Chickens" :gig Weight-watchers, Nutrisystems, And Jenny Craig, get in touch with me,,,, I will be your supplier.
A BIG Congrats on your little "diet" eggs. :lau

It's possible both are laying. The gray one is older and was just about ready to lay when you brought her home. The younger one hatched with Coge (who started laying 5-6 days ago.)

Funny pic!

I wish mine chased bunnies. Our dogs enjoyed chasing rabbits & squirrels, so they taught our old hen Tyrion to do the same. She's 7 yrs old now, and her squirrel-chasing days are behind her. Our dogs have passed on, so our rabbit population is getting out of control. Of course squirrels are worse. One dug a hole into our chicken tractor last night. I saw it this morning inside the closed, empty tractor.... and eating right out of the hanging feeder.
:rant
We don't get a lot of squirrels. The rabbits all come to my yard. They know my dog won't chase them, I never allowed her too, all animals welcomed as long as they don't kill another animal. If they go into my tortoise yard there is all kinds of weeds to eat. The worse they do is dig holes for their nest and then I just about break my ankle stepping in them.

All these new layers are great, but....
Just as the spring pullets are starting to lay.......
...... my hens are starting to molt.

Look, I have a naked neck!
Opps. No. It's just Blizzard.
IMG_9790.JPG

IMG_9802.JPG

Cupcake now looks like a Rumpless Araucana.
IMG_9813.JPG

(She was giving me the evil eye for trying to take her pic during molt.)
IMG_9814.JPG

Is it me or is Phoe going gray at the tender age of 10 mo?
20190921_171758.jpg

While i was sitting here scrolling through past posts and trying to get a better picture of Phoe and the babies, a hawk literally flew down and landed on Phoe. 6 FEET IN FRONT OF ME. Fortunately phoe was able to scoot out of the way and the babies scattered under the mum and lilies while i yelled and screamed and the hawk lit out of here like the devil was chasing it. Everyones ok, but I'm flustered. It must gave been sitting up on the pinnacle of the roof over the porch and just came down. It didnt even know I was there until I screamed. It promptly brought me 3 boys out of the house too!

Apparently it circled when i went it for 2 min. and then decided to try its hand at the spitzies who were in the woods. Jake was a good boy and had his gurls and Jasper around a tree trunk and screaming at the top of his voice. I come running with......a cat litter scoop and a leaf blower....:gigEveryone except the baby girl spitz and black easter egger are accounted for so far.

View attachment 1914304
While i was sitting here scrolling through past posts and trying to get a better picture of Phoe and the babies, a hawk literally flew down and landed on Phoe. 6 FEET IN FRONT OF ME. Fortunately phoe was able to scoot out of the way and the babies scattered under the mum and lilies while i yelled and screamed and the hawk lit out of here like the devil was chasing it. Everyones ok, but I'm flustered. It must gave been sitting up on the pinnacle of the roof over the porch and just came down. It didnt even know I was there until I screamed. It promptly brought me 3 boys out of the house too!
Wow that is really a bold bird.
I had a peregrine falcon the other day do a turn to come for chickens. He landed on my house. I ran out to my chickens to stand guard. The falcon must not had seen me standing there. When he came down to get my chickens he quickly made a turn, probably finally seen me, and he left. It was a small one though, not sure what a bigger one would have done.
Sure glad all yours are okay.

Apparently it circled when i went it for 2 min. and then decided to try its hand at the spitzies who were in the woods. Jake was a good boy and had his gurls and Jasper around a tree trunk and screaming at the top of his voice. I come running with......a cat litter scoop and a leaf blower....:gigEveryone except the baby girl spitz and black easter egger are accounted for so far.
Lol, now that's a funny imagine, poopper scoop and a leaf blower.
Hope you find the missing ones and they are okay.

View attachment 1914304

It sounds like a very problematic hawk. Thankfully you were there. I find the hawks do the same here. Usually when I'm out giving treats. It probably knows the chickens are distracted so it takes advantage of the opportunity.

Glad everyone's OK.

Phoe's color is probably due to molting. Looks like feather shafts or something. Of course when they grow in their new feathers it can change a little each time. Often the broodies take advantage of the down-time (egg-wise) and grow some new feathers. After sitting in a nest for about a month, they can really use the make-over.

Back
Top Bottom