Illinois...

Poor Chizzy has only 3 tail feathers left. She was literally leaving a trail of feathers as she walked. I'm very sure she'll be tail-less by tonight.
IMG_5722 (2).JPG

Wherever she stands for more than 5 min. looks like a predator attack.
IMG_5713 (2).JPG

Darling went through this not too long ago. The kids started calling her "Egg." At least she's starting to grow some feathers back now.
IMG_5730 (2).JPG

The poultry yard has so many feathers I didn't notice a poult in the weeds without a head this morning. Birds are acting normal so I assume an owl that the others didn't notice in the middle of the night. The older poults and most of the adults sleep in the trees. I have not been successful getting them to sleep in the coops when I have more than a dozen. It's like wack a mole getting them out of the trees.

The poultry yard has so many feathers I didn't notice a poult in the weeds without a head this morning. Birds are acting normal so I assume an owl that the others didn't notice in the middle of the night. The older poults and most of the adults sleep in the trees. I have not been successful getting them to sleep in the coops when I have more than a dozen. It's like wack a mole getting them out of the trees.
Sorry you had another predator loss. I guess I'm lucky that my turkeys go in every night. They pretty much think they're chickens- except bigger bullies. My neighbors are trying to talk me into keeping them. (They really like the big, beautiful, curious males.) I keep saying that the turkeys are only temporary. The female may not be too bad since she doesn't bully, but I fear she'd be lost without her brothers.

@BReeder! Did you have just one female turkey or 2 females?

Sorry you had another predator loss. I guess I'm lucky that my turkeys go in every night. They pretty much think they're chickens- except bigger bullies. My neighbors are trying to talk me into keeping them. (They really like the big, beautiful, curious males.) I keep saying that the turkeys are only temporary. The female may not be too bad since she doesn't bully, but I fear she'd be lost without her brothers.

@BReeder! Did you have just one female turkey or 2 females?
The tom from last year hatch that was a bully this spring tasted good. I have a hen that I have threatened that she can be replaced.

The tom from last year hatch that was a bully this spring tasted good. I have a hen that I have threatened that she can be replaced.
BTW- Have your turkeys ever tried to bully people? I only ask because they're getting pretty big and we have a 10 year old running around. They sometimes fan out but if anyone walks toward them, he drops the tail and quickly walks away.

They have never challenged or stood ground like a cockerel may sometimes do. I have seen the 2 male turkeys fight a little. I have also seen them chase a chicken around the yard. (Again nothing like 2 hormonal cockerels in spring!)

BTW- Have your turkeys ever tried to bully people? I only ask because they're getting pretty big and we have a 10 year old running around. They sometimes fan out but if anyone walks toward them, he drops the tail and quickly walks away.

They have never challenged or stood ground like a cockerel may sometimes do. I have seen the 2 male turkeys fight a little. I have also seen them chase a chicken around the yard. (Again nothing like 2 hormonal cockerels in spring!)
The first Heritage jakes... the dominant would attack me. He tasted good and then the next dominant started. R2elk posted a link about feed and aggressive. I was feeding chick starter. I switched to 28% turkey and they were fine until the mulberry ripen. And then the grass seeds. I decided not to use any of that bloodline and start over. They tasted good. The ones I have now have never showed people aggression.

Poor Chizzy has only 3 tail feathers left. She was literally leaving a trail of feathers as she walked. I'm very sure she'll be tail-less by tonight.
View attachment 2358726
Wherever she stands for more than 5 min. looks like a predator attack.
View attachment 2358725

Darling went through this not too long ago. The kids started calling her "Egg." At least she's starting to grow some feathers back now.View attachment 2358727
Tell Chizzy it could always be worse. She could only have 1 tail feather.
20201003_150212.jpg

Or none....
20201003_150229.jpg

The ones I have now have never showed people aggression.
Great to know. Mine have never been aggressive either. They're just getting so big it could be scary. DS is taller but the turkeys tower over the little boy next door. (Of course all the chickens love our tiny neighbor because he enjoys feeding them kitchen scraps through the fence.)
:love

Good gentle turkeys get to stay here a little longer. Thankfully they know fingers are not food.

Back
Top Bottom