cavemanrich

Enabler
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
These little thugs are eating feed right out of the chicken's feeder when they go to roost at night!!
One reason I put away all feed containers back into the 32 Gal, steel cans. I keep my feed during day outside in run area. Covered from weather. During night-time, I would have a swarm or parade or raccoons, opossum, skunks, and anything else hungry.

CommunistEgg

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
Mice... They are beginning to really annoy me.

I cleaned out the coop and the garage this week. I found mice dropping in both. The garage is connected to the house. A little searching turned up more mice droppings in the sub-basement and a few in the pantry. I went all out with bate stations. 4 in the garage, one in the den (pantry is off the den and it connects the garage to the sub-basement door, 2 in the sunroom, and 3 in the sub-basement. The coop and run are at the back of the yard, so I'm hopeful that a poisoned mouse shouldn't make it to the chickens. In the coop I placed a live trap with poison bate inside it (I'm not interested in relocating a live mouse). I am trying the same live trap with poison bate in the garage as an extra station that will allow me to see how much activity there is. I might start deploying snap traps too, but I've been so busy (work is ramping up) and worry I'll forget to check them often. A used snap trap does no good in killing the next mouse that comes by...
Mice... They are beginning to really annoy me.

View attachment 2383272
We use those types of traps in the hospital I work at. There's a company that checks and replaces them every so often but I hear they work very well!

SnootyHen

Songster
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
One reason I put away all feed containers back into the 32 Gal, steel cans. I keep my feed during day outside in run area. Covered from weather. During night-time, I would have a swarm or parade or raccoons, opossum, skunks, and anything else hungry.
I have a hanging feeder in the run. Doesn't matter that it hangs, the little jerks jump in. 😡🤬

BReeder!

Free Ranging
Mar 12, 2018
Plainfield, IL
My Coop
Update on the live traps: I LOVE THEM! I checked the garage and there was one mouse. I checked the coop and found 4 or 5 in that one. I was expecting more in the coop.

I baited with the bait blocks. I think I am going to scrap that idea though. The mice are all still alive. I wonder how long that poison takes to do its job. I think I'm going to just bait with chicken feed or some peanut butter and then submerge the trap in a bucket of water to dispatch them.

As for placement of the traps, I put the one in the coop near my feed storage container, which is just inside the door. I placed it against the wall since mice like to stick to the walls when moving around.in three garage I placed the live trap against the wall behind my snowblower.

Ultimately, I am going to continue to observe these for a few days. If they go well, I may but more. Mice are not a constant issue here, but every Fall they hit in a wave. I think they are outdoors much if the time abd just looking for shelter from the weather this time of year.

Jan 6, 2020
Chicago suburbs
They're crazy here too! I put out baits but they aren't touching them because between my garden and the chicken feed they filled their bellies and aren't interested in the baits. Every morning I find a little tunnel into the chicken run too and the dumb thing is they could walk right in but they have to tunnel just to piss me off. I'd use snap traps but I'm worried my dogs will mess with them. I already caught one of them running around the yard holding a bait station in her mouth. 🤪
Could be moles tunneling? I have them. Have been chasing mice as well. Last year my mice got smart and they would clean the traps (old school wood) without tripping it. I just fed dozens of mice. Then I found these traps and they are fantastic.
20201023_122327.jpg

So far I'm up to 2 raccoon, 9 possum (as of this morning), and 5 mice.

Faraday40

Free Ranging
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois
Could be moles tunneling? I have them. Have been chasing mice as well. Last year my mice got smart and they would clean the traps (old school wood) without tripping it. I just fed dozens of mice. Then I found these traps and they are fantastic.
View attachment 2384279

So far I'm up to 2 raccoon, 9 possum (as of this morning), and 5 mice.
I have seen that kind of trap but the standard wood kind worked OK for me.

I hot glued a piece of dog food to the trigger. (Peanut butter only sort of worked & had to reloaded nightly)

Top Bottom