Illinois...

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to talk myself out of chicks and other animals in the last couple of weeks. Spring is hard!!!!!

I am also talking myself outta chicks!!! I technically have room for the full grown chickens, but I don't have anywhere to brood as I am brooding 33 in my second coop right now!!!

There's just so many breeds I wanna get lol

I am also talking myself outta chicks!!! I technically have room for the full grown chickens, but I don't have anywhere to brood as I am brooding 33 in my second coop right now!!!

There's just so many breeds I wanna get lol

33 in the brooder is a good start! What kind do you have in there?

I was thinking if I got a small ferret cage, I could brood chicks in the house in that and then move it to the coop for the "look but don't touch" transition. And then I said "What are you THINKING!?!?! You said no more chicks!?!?!" and try to distract myself with something else. LOL!

33 in the brooder is a good start! What kind do you have in there?

I was thinking if I got a small ferret cage, I could brood chicks in the house in that and then move it to the coop for the "look but don't touch" transition. And then I said "What are you THINKING!?!?! You said no more chicks!?!?!" and try to distract myself with something else. LOL!

I have 31 barred rocks, and 2 asain blacks (confused for barred rocks when my husband bought me 6 more as a surprise.)

I have a thread on them...you can check out pics here...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-the-galaxies.1566892/

We've had some ups and downs but at 4wks everyone is doing well and off heat!!!

I was thinking the same with a dog crate
..especially today when I was looking at more barred rocks lol...

But then a guy said he had 3 barred rock cockerels (8wks) and I was looking for 3.... so I'll likely use the dog crate when/if I get them!!

I've seen "sun showers" before, but today was a first.

I heard the pitter patter of heavy rain and looked outside to see bright sunshine. I opened the backdoor to look up at the sky and realized it was actually hail balls - not rain.
Is there a name for this???? The hail only lasted 1-2 min; Sunshine is still present. Thankfully it wasn't reversed.

I've seen "sun showers" before, but today was a first.

I heard the pitter patter of heavy rain and looked outside to see bright sunshine. I opened the backdoor to look up at the sky and realized it was actually hail balls - not rain.
Is there a name for this???? The hail only lasted 1-2 min; Sunshine is still present. Thankfully it wasn't reversed.
Grandma used to say devil is beating his wife when sun and showers .... I wonder what she would have called hailing

My Banties kicked into high gear. :idunno :thumbsup (from 2 days)
Wonder if that pix of the Colonel had anything to do with it.:gig:lau
Right side, is one Large egg, I think from Wendy. Some of her eggs are void of most of the spots/speckles Maybe she is running low on ink:old
IMG_20230327_153606413.jpg

Easter time has these Marshmallow eggs available everywhere. After we ate first dozen of the chocolates, I decided I could repurpose those cartons to hold bantam eggs. Large eggs will not fit/close carton top.
IMG_20230328_184216940.jpg

Here is assortment of my home grow eggs. We do not need to purchase store eggs at this time.
IMG_20230328_184602194.jpg

How's everyone after the storms?
It missed me, just an inch of rain in a short time. So the bottom land is flooded.

Had 2 meat mutt hens disappear and found a meat mutt hen dead when I went to open the coop Thursday morning.
Reddish hen disappeared Monday and was outside the poultry yard in the bottom where the grass was lush. I thought maybe she was on a nest somewhere. Tuesday I seen a bunch of white feathers in the poultry yard. No one was injured but couldn't find a hen with a bad toe. Next day I seen some white out in the pasture, sure enough it was chicken feathers. So I figure coyote since the last bird would be too heavy for any raptor.
Both these birds were taken between 1pm and 4pm.
I feel bad for the birds. I have way too many so I don't get attached.

Just really high wind here last night. But the afternoon rain was pretty dramatic. Lots of standing water. You know it's bad when I bring in the flag and cushions. LOL!! Of course, everything survived last night just fine and then this morning, the plastic sheeting over my run ripped. I went out in my PJs with some Flex tape and it wouldn't hold. 😲🧐 I thought Flex tape held EVERYTHING but apparently not. So I cut the flappy part and binder-clipped it to the run to hold it for another week or so before it all comes down.

I can't believe I am only JUST not thinking of this and am pretty upset with myself for struggling the last few winters with this dumb plastic sheeting. I bought a tarp and caribeener clips for the top since it still has a leak once the plastic comes off. And then I was like....wait....why have I not just bought a clear tarp to clip to the run sides every winter!??!?! Why have I messed with plastic sheeting and flex tape and bricks to hold the bottom!?! Every winter!?!? What is wrong with me?? LOL!!! I guess for next winter, I will be ready.

Back
Top Bottom