Illinois...

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I remember '78! I was 11 and thought the blizzard was great! I'm less pleased with snow in my old age.... [​IMG]

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    Winter of '78/79 was a good one. Very similar to last year's snow, except 78/79 had more ice. Now there was a late blizzard in the early 70's where I remember finding Easter eggs in 1'-2' of snow!

I was born down south in 1960 and moved to the eastern IA area in 1969. I lived in eastern NC for 4-5 years in the early 90's. The thing I missed the most was SNOW! It snowed once when we lived there. I took the day off work (of course the schools were called off) and my children (aged 6 & under) and I played in the snow ... until it melted ... around 11:00 a.m.

3. mjlabs

mjlabs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2011
    West Central Illinois
    Mid 50's the next couple days ...in January....in central illinois, theres surely a catch....i'm sure we'll pay for this! btw I noticed our fruit trees are really starting to bud out...yikes.

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I just told someone at the store yesterday we would pay for this nice stretch in Feb. March can be brutal in Illinois too.

5. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Well I hope the nay sayers, woe-is-me-ers, and thr farmer's almanac are all wrong! However I must say we are having a banner year for coyotes!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. Franzen Farms

Franzen Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wilmington, IL
    Coyotes are getting out of hand around here!!! So far the hot-wire fence has been keeping them out but its about time to start looking at them through the cross hairs. [​IMG]

7. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    The deer hunters out here use the coyotes to stay fine tuned during the rest of the year. I hear them occasionally but none are brave enough to come too close...at least not when the chickens are out during the daytime. I am loving this weird winter but am not kidding myself into thinking it won't get worse before spring gets here!

8. jamie.williamson34

jamie.williamson34 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    hello illinois from quad city area!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hello Jamie! Welcome!

Oh yeah, predators are all out this winter. Squirrels in the city are getting more and more bolder. I know its going to be H*** to pay when we are enjoying our warm weather right now. Even my girls are loving it! IP companies are having a fit about us using less heat because it has been milder than usual. I know, I just know that we will be slammed for another one. Only a matter of time. Yeah I said that in the last two years we are going to get it! Well, nothing happened.

I don't know how reliable is the Farmer's Alamanac but it makes good reading!

Can deer hunters take out coyotes while they are hunting deer? Two for one or nip one while you are at it kind of thing.

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    [​IMG]
    jamie.williamson34 :

hello illinois from quad city area!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by