Illinois...

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by mothergoose, Jan 13, 2007.

1. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    jamie.williamson34 :

hello illinois from quad city area!

[​IMG] and to the Illinois thread!! I'm just east of you, between I-88 and I-80, west of I-39. What kind of flock do you have?​

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    No coyotes, here.
    They have a hunting season down here and they are killed very heavily since there is a fur place down here somewhere...

3. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    StevenW. :

No coyotes, here.
    They have a hunting season down here and they are killed very heavily since there is a fur place down here somewhere...

Do you think you can get the contact for the fur place and e-mail it to me? I've been looking for one around here. I think those tails I COULD be collecting would make great coat collars at the least.​

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Songster

Nov 26, 2008
    NW IL Fiber Enabler
    Quote:[​IMG] and to the Illinois thread!! I'm just east of you, between I-88 and I-80, west of I-39. What kind of flock do you have?

And I'm between the two of you in Whiteside County.

If you don't have coyotes, then you have fox. Of the two, I prefer coyotes. They'll take a bird, but they won't kill a whole flock in one night for the fun of it like the fox.

5. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    I think they are both nice animals but need to die if they mess with any livestock or run off deer

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:That's what I said when I handed my neighbor his Yorkie the other day. [​IMG] He just couldn't believe his "tiny dog with it's tiny mouth" had attacked a chicken. I had to go get the bantam Wyandotte hen to prove it to him. I'm still not sure he entirely believes me.

That's what I get for trying to do the 'nice' thing. I chose not to take the shot, put down the gun and caught the little mutt and for my trouble all I got was disrespect.

Next time it's relocate or S.S.S.

7. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    a dog on your property with a hen/rooster in it's mouth....shoot first...be nice later.....better to ask for forgiveness than permission!

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I've shot my share of dogs and frankly I am tired of it. I do it when I have to. I just killed a malamute 6 weeks back and I still feel cruddy about it. That neighbor thought it was okay to let his dog run occasionally, despite it's killing nature. I caught it after my goat and had no choice.

I knew with the Yorkie that this was a neighbor who would work with me, as he had in the past, and the chicken was only scuffed up. I didn't know that he feels like every dog he has had, he has gotten rid of for me, in his words. All I have ever asked is that he keeps his dogs off my land, he's the one that gets rid of them instead of building a pen.

I don't always start shooting if dogs come around as long as they leave the stock alone. The minute they cause trouble, or look at a bird the wrong way, I let the owner know. If after that, the dog keeps showing up, I'll find it a new owner, who keeps it safe, or shoot it.

BTW, I've yet to meet the forgiving neighbor whose dog I've shot. [​IMG]

9. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Songster

Nov 30, 2011
    Isnt there a way to keep all unwanted critters (dogs, coyotes, whatever) off your property?

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Yes, but it's expensive
    You can:
    Fence your property with electric netting high enough none can jump over or dig under having cut all overhanging trees away.

Build a mote on the outside of that and sock it with piranha, sharks and crocodiles.

Surround all of that with sharpshooters on watch 24 hrs a day.

Cover the entire thing with fencing to keep out the Hawks and Owls.

Yep! That should do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by