Illinois...

jamie.williamson34 :

hello illinois from quad city area!

welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread!! I'm just east of you, between I-88 and I-80, west of I-39. What kind of flock do you have?​

StevenW. :

No coyotes, here.
They have a hunting season down here and they are killed very heavily since there is a fur place down here somewhere...

Do you think you can get the contact for the fur place and e-mail it to me? I've been looking for one around here. I think those tails I COULD be collecting would make great coat collars at the least.​

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
and to the Illinois thread!! I'm just east of you, between I-88 and I-80, west of I-39. What kind of flock do you have?

And I'm between the two of you in Whiteside County.

If you don't have coyotes, then you have fox. Of the two, I prefer coyotes. They'll take a bird, but they won't kill a whole flock in one night for the fun of it like the fox.

Quote:
That's what I said when I handed my neighbor his Yorkie the other day.
big_smile.png
He just couldn't believe his "tiny dog with it's tiny mouth" had attacked a chicken. I had to go get the bantam Wyandotte hen to prove it to him. I'm still not sure he entirely believes me.

That's what I get for trying to do the 'nice' thing. I chose not to take the shot, put down the gun and caught the little mutt and for my trouble all I got was disrespect.

Next time it's relocate or S.S.S.

Quote:
I've shot my share of dogs and frankly I am tired of it. I do it when I have to. I just killed a malamute 6 weeks back and I still feel cruddy about it. That neighbor thought it was okay to let his dog run occasionally, despite it's killing nature. I caught it after my goat and had no choice.

I knew with the Yorkie that this was a neighbor who would work with me, as he had in the past, and the chicken was only scuffed up. I didn't know that he feels like every dog he has had, he has gotten rid of for me, in his words. All I have ever asked is that he keeps his dogs off my land, he's the one that gets rid of them instead of building a pen.

I don't always start shooting if dogs come around as long as they leave the stock alone. The minute they cause trouble, or look at a bird the wrong way, I let the owner know. If after that, the dog keeps showing up, I'll find it a new owner, who keeps it safe, or shoot it.

BTW, I've yet to meet the forgiving neighbor whose dog I've shot.
hmm.png

Yes, but it's expensive
You can:
Fence your property with electric netting high enough none can jump over or dig under having cut all overhanging trees away.

Build a mote on the outside of that and sock it with piranha, sharks and crocodiles.

Surround all of that with sharpshooters on watch 24 hrs a day.

Cover the entire thing with fencing to keep out the Hawks and Owls.

Yep! That should do it.

Back
Top Bottom