Illinois...

Thanks, but its not for sure yet. All depends on home inspection tomorrow.
fl.gif

And I think I have 1 pullet and 3 cockerels from my mottled cochin bantams chicks. They are so hard to get a good look at since I gave them to my broody. They run from me every time I get close enough to look at their combs. But looks like I will have a pair of them to work with next spring. Next on the list will be some mottled cochin bantam frizzles pullets to add to the group. Then I still have my Silver Laced bantam cochin pair. Although, I am going to have to separate Mick (SL rooster) from his favorite girl, my LF chocolate orp. They are quite the couple!

I also wanted to ask if anyone else changes their feed during molt. I switched to Nutrena feed for meat birds for the higher protein count.(22%) Figure it will help with all the molting going on over here. I am also thinking I can feed it to my growers, since there is no added calcium. My feed store doesn't carry the new one by Nutrena for feathers, so this was the next best thing. I do have oyster shell to offer on the side. Thoughts? This is my first time trying this.
I often dream of moving to a place with a little more land (& less ordinances). Many of our friends have HAD to move because of financial reasons. They end up finding a job in IN or WI & buying my dream house for less $ than staying in the Chicago suburbs. DH likes it here, so I must keep reminding myself I'm happy. After all, he tolerates all my critters.
hide.gif

Anyway, Good luck on the inspection. I think it's fantastic you're able to follow your dream. Perhaps you'll be able to build even more coops! (.....too soon?)

I tried the "feather fixer" formula last year. It may have helped, but it's only a 40# bag & also a few dollars more, so expensive. I have more birds this year & although the yard is covered with feathers, not all are molting. I was nervous about going to meatbird formula because a few of mine can get diarrhea from high protein. I'm trying out "all flock" as a middle of the road approach.

My biggest problem is that I sometimes get minor feather picking. My birds are starting to look very good & I noticed two looked a little thin on feathers below the beak. It happened sometime during the day today. They were able free range but the hawks have been bad. The roos may have kept them inside too long. I fear Cuddles is the culprit. (Last time only she & the top hen didn't have missing feathers.) Is there anything I can do to try to prevent it? or Could I be missing something? Is there a mite that only affects beards & muffs? Does Cuddles have beard envy?

That's sometimes, but not always true.  My parents live in unincorporated Naperville.  Anyone living in town with a very small yard can have backyard hens.  They have a large 3/4 acre lot, & it's illegal for them because they're in Will Co.  

That's a good point! I'm also in unincorporated Naperville, but in DuPage County. I guess always best to check the county rules first. And also Township rules

I often dream of moving to a place with a little more land (& less ordinances). Many of our friends have HAD to move because of financial reasons. They end up finding a job in IN or WI & buying my dream house for less $ than staying in the Chicago suburbs. DH likes it here, so I must keep reminding myself I'm happy. After all, he tolerates all my critters.
hide.gif

Anyway, Good luck on the inspection. I think it's fantastic you're able to follow your dream. Perhaps you'll be able to build even more coops! (.....too soon?)

I tried the "feather fixer" formula last year. It may have helped, but it's only a 40# bag & also a few dollars more, so expensive. I have more birds this year & although the yard is covered with feathers, not all are molting. I was nervous about going to meatbird formula because a few of mine can get diarrhea from high protein. I'm trying out "all flock" as a middle of the road approach.

My biggest problem is that I sometimes get minor feather picking. My birds are starting to look very good & I noticed two looked a little thin on feathers below the beak. It happened sometime during the day today. They were able free range but the hawks have been bad. The roos may have kept them inside too long. I fear Cuddles is the culprit. (Last time only she & the top hen didn't have missing feathers.) Is there anything I can do to try to prevent it? or Could I be missing something? Is there a mite that only affects beards & muffs? Does Cuddles have beard envy?

Thanks Faraday, but this isn't my dream home. My dream home would be a 10 acre farm down in Virginia or up in Vermont. Don't get me wrong, I do like the home and the almost acre, and the area did remind us of Vermont with all the trees and rolling hills, but if I wanted some goats or if I wanted 10 Roosters for breeding, I wouldn't because the neighbors are still close enough. But for now, it will give the chickens and the dog much more room.

I am seeing some diarrhea with this new feed, so might end up cutting in something else also. I wished the feed store carried the all flock, but the only one they carry by was the meat bird formula. They are kind of limited to a small variety to choose from. Its either Organic, Purina, Prince or the Meat bird by Nutrena. They also mix their own, of which I usually get, but the girls just go for all the goodies and leave the crumble.

As for the hawks, they are such a pain in the ***! And I don't know of any mites that would just get the beards and muffs. So perhaps Cuddles does have beard envy, haha, or maybe the muffs just annoy her, LOL. Good Luck!

[COLOR=333333]Question & story for anyone who has or had Sebrights:  Did you ever have a Sebright that converses?  Ours prefers to be treated like a parrot.  If we offer her a finger, she'll jump on.  I often talk to her, and she makes eye contact.  When I pause, she makes gentle little conversation noises in response.  I amuse myself (& others if they hear us) by pretending to understand the Sebright and make up silly conversations.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Just wondering if this is common.  I think I read somewhere that these were chatty birds, but I never thought she actually would try to mimic conversation.  I have a talkative Sussex mix.  Of course all of her conversations are merely begging for treats.  She simply follows me around with a long, low grumbly "Baaaaaaaaawk."  The Sebright is completely different.[/COLOR]

I've never had them or heard that but wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever... But for odd stories I have currently three roosters old enough to crow all have been heard crowing... 1 rir crows like a normal roo one buff silkie who crows when he's alone and really only then and one polish who crowed when inside but since he was moved out side stoped crowing so one normal, one alone and one only while inside..

If your feed store carries a 'hog feed' that would be a good option to cut the meat bird and lower the protein a bit closer to 18%...

Thanks, will have to check that out.

You can also see if a Walmart near you carries their Hog 14... I use it on occasion cut 50/50 with Walmart's Egg Maker 15 (to lower calcium overall) as a fill gap all feed, the lower protein isn't really a concern for me since I supplement their feed heavily with other items... I have also used it exactly for what you are considering using it for cutting ~22% meat bird feed to a mixed ~18% overall feed...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Family-Farm-14-Pelleted-Complete-Hog-14-Feed-40-lb-Livestock/10323577

Last edited:
Well, the home search continues. To many electrical and foundation issues showed up during inspection. But I am going to miss that beautiful view.

My husband in I live in Galena Illinois we have 3 white frizzle Cochin and 3 black frizzle Cochin roosters free to a good home they hatched around August 17th

Back
Top Bottom