Illinois...

Also is there anyone here from Palos Hills? I was doing some searching for any current Chicken Ordinances, and came up with an article in the Tribune about looking into back yard chickens. Since this is where we might be moving, I want to make sure. There are plenty of people with horses on their property, which is awesome, and my maybe new next door neighbor has bee hives, such a plus, but this article kind of scared me. They said that the mayor received a single complaint and thought maybe they should do something in regards of grazing livestock.
You may want to look at the unincorporated areas if there are any, they tend to have more relaxed rules regarding livestock.

You may want to look at the unincorporated areas if there are any, they tend to have more relaxed rules regarding livestock.
That's sometimes, but not always true. My parents live in unincorporated Naperville. Anyone living in town with a very small yard can have backyard hens. They have a large 3/4 acre lot, & it's illegal for them because they're in Will Co.

So I've been thinking about something resently I have a white created black polish rooster I got from another member.. I had a deal for a few hens but that fell through so I'm stuck with just the too by himself so I thought about making a misfit flock with him an ee a Araucana and a mix I have anyone have any idea if these breeds are ok together I'm afread he will be to cold this winter by himself

That's sometimes, but not always true.  My parents live in unincorporated Naperville.  Anyone living in town with a very small yard can have backyard hens.  They have a large 3/4 acre lot, & it's illegal for them because they're in Will Co.  

You really need to look at all the laws at the county level down even in unincorporated areas as well as how the lot is zoned, and never forget about any home owner organizations...

I'm so grateful at finding the place I'm in, even though everything around me is incorporated the lot I'm on and a few others around me are not incorporated so no village/city/town laws to worry about... It's in Lake County and zoned rural estate, basically the same as agricultural but with a few limits on extremes, like no private airport and some silly limits like (based on memory) nor more than 10,000 head of cattle :)

You really need to look at all the laws at the county level down even in unincorporated areas as well as how the lot is zoned, and never forget about any home owner organizations...

I'm so grateful at finding the place I'm in, even though everything around me is incorporated the lot I'm on and a few others around me are not incorporated so no village/city/town laws to worry about... It's in Lake County and zoned rural estate, basically the same as agricultural but with a few limits on extremes, like no private airport and some silly limits like (based on memory) nor more than 10,000 head of cattle
smile.png
You are very lucky MeepBeep. That is why I am afraid to leave Chicago, where there are no limits either. No ban on Roosters, just have to think of the neighbors. But, I am such a airhead and made a mistake. When I was doing the search online, for the house is in Palos Park, for some reason, it also pulled up an article for Palos hills, of which I read and assumed it was for the area I might be moving into. Then I went and typed Palos hills and it didn't even register. There are not any home owner organizations and I did inquire to make sure that its not unincorporated because of have heard of some stories about unincorporated areas and sewer issues. And like I said there are people throughout the neighborhood, that have horses/barns on their property. The real estate agent said they allow chickens, and you can have horses as long as you have an acre of land. But I want to make sure I talk to the right person at the village hall. We are having the home inspection done on Sunday, and I will contact the village for any current info on backyard chickens if the house inspection goes well. There is a small coop/shed with a white picket fenced area already on the property, but looks like they are using it for storage at the moment. I will let everyone know how it all turns out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

THAT IS THERE AS ENCOURAGEMENT TO KEEP MORE BANTAMS........
yippiechickie.gif

You know I'm WISHING YOU BEST ON YOUR MOVE.
thumbsup.gif
Thanks, but its not for sure yet. All depends on home inspection tomorrow.
fl.gif

And I think I have 1 pullet and 3 cockerels from my mottled cochin bantams chicks. They are so hard to get a good look at since I gave them to my broody. They run from me every time I get close enough to look at their combs. But looks like I will have a pair of them to work with next spring. Next on the list will be some mottled cochin bantam frizzles pullets to add to the group. Then I still have my Silver Laced bantam cochin pair. Although, I am going to have to separate Mick (SL rooster) from his favorite girl, my LF chocolate orp. They are quite the couple!

I also wanted to ask if anyone else changes their feed during molt. I switched to Nutrena feed for meat birds for the higher protein count.(22%) Figure it will help with all the molting going on over here. I am also thinking I can feed it to my growers, since there is no added calcium. My feed store doesn't carry the new one by Nutrena for feathers, so this was the next best thing. I do have oyster shell to offer on the side. Thoughts? This is my first time trying this.

Question & story for anyone who has or had Sebrights: Did you ever have a Sebright that converses? Ours prefers to be treated like a parrot. If we offer her a finger, she'll jump on. I often talk to her, and she makes eye contact. When I pause, she makes gentle little conversation noises in response. I amuse myself (& others if they hear us) by pretending to understand the Sebright and make up silly conversations.

Just wondering if this is common. I think I read somewhere that these were chatty birds, but I never thought she actually would try to mimic conversation. I have a talkative Sussex mix. Of course all of her conversations are merely begging for treats. She simply follows me around with a long, low grumbly "Baaaaaaaaawk." The Sebright is completely different.

Back
Top Bottom