Illinois...

Time to get out and wash up my incubator too. I need a couple new thermometer/hygrometers and of course to calibrate them but I am super excited. With the six MPC eggs supposed to arrive(hopefully-fingers crossed) on March 2nd I will be saving eggs the week before that. I have also decided to set the eggs from our flock testing the egg sexing theory you can find on BYC. Because... Well why not? Funny that this will be my fourth hatching attempt with the last one being a bust with shipped Buttercup eggs(the first two quite successful) Would ya believe I'm a bit nervous I'll screw up? I'm also very very excited! This will be my first attempt at hatching our own eggs. I'm hoping for a good turn out from the MPC eggs and of course from our eggs. Which have been fertile and torturing me for months.
It appears that I too have gone broody.
Wishing everyone luck with their spring hatches! :) Who all is joining the Easter hatch-a-long?

I have decided that I am going to keep only my SL Roo and work on better laced blues, Silver laced and Silver partridges. So, if anyone is interested, and all the ones pictured below are from Papa's Poultry.

I have my Blue Orp Thor available, he is a big boy!( can't wait to be able to use the hose on the deck.)

2 of the SL pullets from Papa's Poultry, 5 months

Black Orp Pullet 5 months

I also have the trio of Blue Isbars and a Splash Orp Cockerel. I need to get some current pics of them. I also have Thor's brother, Crazy Toes available. He won't make a good protector or breeder, but is a sweet guy!

Last edited:
I have decided that I am going to keep only my SL Roo and work on better laced blues, Silver laced and Silver partridges. So, if anyone is interested, and all the ones pictured below are from Papa's Poultry. I have my Blue Orp Thor available, he is a big boy!( can't wait to be able to use the hose on the deck.) 2 of the SL pullets from Papa's Poultry, 5 months Black Orp Pullet 5 months I also have the trio of Blue Isbars and a Splash Orp Cockerel. I need to get some current pics of them. I also have Thor's brother, Crazy Toes available. He won't make a good protector or breeder, but is a sweet guy!
I'm interested please pm with info you have some beautiful feathered friends

I have decided that I am going to keep only my SL Roo and work on better laced blues, Silver laced and Silver partridges. So, if anyone is interested, and all the ones pictured below are from Papa's Poultry.

I have my Blue Orp Thor available, he is a big boy!( can't wait to be able to use the hose on the deck.)

2 of the SL pullets from Papa's Poultry, 5 months

Black Orp Pullet 5 months

I also have the trio of Blue Isbars and a Splash Orp Cockerel. I need to get some current pics of them. I also have Thor's brother, Crazy Toes available. He won't make a good protector or breeder, but is a sweet guy!

Here are some of pics of the Blue Isbars will be a trio and they are from Orchard Hill Poultry, the Parent were from Greenfire's second generation of Isbars.

Last edited:
Set some eggs last night with protests from DW and DS. Had to promise they will be all gone within 1 week of hatching. I hope I am able to fulfill that promise!

I'm with THEM! I live on a rural farm property--5 acres worth--and I got tired of bringing up chicken babies IN the house, IN the basement or ON the front (enclosed) porch! TOO STINKY!!! I even kept birds in a stall in the barn for a few years, but NO MORE!!! It smells better in there when my horse's stalls are dirty.
I do have a brooder in the barn. It is a 110 gallon steel water trough that sprung a leak. I keep 3inches of dirt on the bottom and then bedding. When I start baby chicks I also use very old, very well bleached towels to keep them from slipping. After a few weeks, they have found their feet on the pine shavings.

I'm with THEM! I live on a rural farm property--5 acres worth--and I got tired of bringing up chicken babies IN the house, IN the basement or ON the front (enclosed) porch! TOO STINKY!!! I even kept birds in a stall in the barn for a few years, but NO MORE!!! It smells better in there when my horse's stalls are dirty.
I do have a brooder in the barn. It is a 110 gallon steel water trough that sprung a leak. I keep 3inches of dirt on the bottom and then bedding. When I start baby chicks I also use very old, very well bleached towels to keep them from slipping. After a few weeks, they have found their feet on the pine shavings.
For me it depends on the amount & breed. When I had 6 EE chicks, I wanted them outside by 2.5 weeks. (Very active chicks = a dusty living room) When I only had 4 orps, they were no bother still inside the house at 4 weeks. Of course, when we have a dozen chicks or more, the garage brooder is best. That's why I'm doing my best to wait to set eggs until March (or sooner if I get a broody.)

DD is stuck home with strep throat today, so she decided to start training her chicken. Both did very well. In about 8min, "Bubbles" learned to consistently peck at the red target chip & not peck at the distraction white chip. She surpassed "Cuddles" on her 1st attempt, so it looks like Bubbles will be an excellent candidate for DD's project.

So what will we do with a trained chicken? I really have no idea yet. However, it is fun to make up silly games using a trained chicken to deliver a message or joke. I'll keep you updated.

@Junibutt Glad I wasn't the only one that started up the incubator. But I think I am going to just test for fertility, my husband will kill me
smack.gif
if I add chicks to the basement. LOL. But I am going to feel horribly guilty tossing eggs that have began to grow.

@Faraday40 Congrats on Bubbles first time accomplishments! That Fantastic. Hope your daughter feels better soon.

@Junibutt Glad I wasn't the only one that started up the incubator. But I think I am going to just test for fertility, my husband will kill me
smack.gif
if I add chicks to the basement. LOL. But I am going to feel horribly guilty tossing eggs that have began to grow.

@Faraday40 Congrats on Bubbles first time accomplishments! That Fantastic. Hope your daughter feels better soon.
15 have been promised already. I may have to toss anything above that number.

Back
Top Bottom