Illinois...

Any guess as to what type of chickens these two are?
They are pit games . Fighting chickens . Pea comb and or single combs are common . Different leg colors are common also . Dark wheaten also common . Hens are often given away or sold cheap . Great broody hens as breeders hatch under hens . I have had them in the past . Pullets sometimes show up at sales . I bought them for broody hens . Have not had any in years .

After telling people how much fun Trouble (our Sebright) is, I discovered some strange behavior today.

She was in the nest box today& doing a minor broody scream. (She's a vocal hen, so she could have just wanted some privacy.) We usually just keep kicking broodies outside until she either gives up or goes full broody. Tonight at chicken count, Trouble was missing. DD found her on the ground outside the run near sunset refusing to move. She acted odd & seemed a bit agitated. No injuries found, so I put her back into the coop. A few min later some squawking & flapping noises led me to look again in the coop & there was Trouble back inside a nest box.

I read Sebrights seldom go broody, but Trouble already went broody from late April 28- early July. She even stayed with her chicks for another week after she started laying. Isn't it a little too soon for her to go broody again? Is there something else I should be looking for?

I read Sebrights seldom go broody, but Trouble already went broody from late April 28- early July. She even stayed with her chicks for another week after she started laying.  Isn't it a little too soon for her to go broody again?  Is there something else I should be looking for?

My single Sebright is broody pretty much 24/7/365 it's honestly rare to see her out of a nesting box for any length of time...

After telling people how much fun Trouble (our Sebright)  is, I discovered some strange behavior today.  

She was in the nest box today& doing a minor broody scream. (She's a vocal hen, so she could have just wanted some privacy.)  We usually just keep kicking broodies outside until she either gives up or goes full broody.  Tonight at chicken count, Trouble was missing.  DD found her on the ground outside the run near sunset refusing to move.  She acted odd & seemed a bit agitated.  No injuries found, so I put her back into the coop.  A few min later some squawking & flapping noises led me to look again in the coop & there was Trouble back inside a nest box.

I read Sebrights seldom go broody, but Trouble already went broody from late April 28- early July. She even stayed with her chicks for another week after she started laying.  Isn't it a little too soon for her to go broody again?  Is there something else I should be looking for?

Where did you read they seldom go broody BC I'm pretty sure I read that they are frequently good broodies. Ours has not yet hatched a clutch. It started out with her being kicked out of the nest box by her flock mates last fall when she tried to go broody. This summer in 100* weather she disappeared and turned up after hours of searching to be in the silo with a dozen eggs. Due to her unsafe spot(hard to get to but I felt a fox could have gotten her easily if it heard her) we attempted to move her and her clutch into a safe nest box. Two undeveloped eggs broke in the disaster that was the move. She abandoned the clutch and after candling to find some with development (probably the heat in the silo next to the wall) into the incubator they went. 9 chicks hatched out and appeared to be a OEGB/sebright mix. 8 have found their forever home as pets. Little number nine was smaller than the rest and also an assisted hatch glued to the shell, but a very very vibrant chick. The problem is that little number 9 is too tiny to go into the brooder area with the larger chicks. There's even a silkie that is twice #9's size and only a week older.

To top it off Lacey has started trying to hide a clutch again. This time in the small side of the cooler coop behind a large storage container where we found our self blue OEGB, Crocket, who's broody on them last. After a frantic search for her outside worried she was grabbed by a predator despite free ranging under Daddy's supervision.

Clearly I need to find some bantam eggs for Crocket as she's been broody nearly two months. I do so want her to be a Mommy but what am I going to do with more chicks?

Has anyone had any luck giving a broody a tiny 2 week old chick?

My single Sebright is broody pretty much 24/7/365 it's honestly rare to see her out of a nesting box for any length of time...

What color do you have? Is she friendly?

Also Lacey is almost always extremely vocal and screams at you like a broody when she needs to lay. Our Oegb are sometimes like that too. I believe it's a defense mechanism to make sure the other hens don't pester her while laying.

Clearly I need to find some bantam eggs for Crocket as she's been broody nearly two months. I do so want her to be a Mommy but what am I going to do with more chicks?
We found that a bantam can hatch LF eggs. (No bantam roo, so our only fertile eggs are LF anyway.)
Our only broody bantam problem was a little confusion as the chicks grow larger than mama, but a determined broody will cover them to the best of her ability.

Wikipedia, eFowl, Purely Poultry, & even BYC all say Sebrights are seldom broody. With most reviews like the ones below, it's a wonder anyone would ever own a Sebright. We have found most of the below info to be false.

Production: Sebrights are not known to be very productive. They are more of an ornamental breed. A hen will lay about 3 eggs a week. The eggs are small and white. They are not known to go broody nor care for their chicks very well if they do.

"Sebrights are neither prolific egg layers, nor outstanding meat birds. They can prove to be particularly difficult to raise, especially for beginners. Hens rarely go broody and chicks usually have high mortality rates. Adults are generally hardy birds, but are especially susceptible to Marek's disease.[19]

In temperament, Sebrights are friendly and actively social birds. Males are not known to be aggressive, but Sebrights in general, like most small chickens, are somewhat skittish birds. Due to their small size and relatively large wings, they are one of a minority of chicken breeds that retains a strong flying ability. Thus, most keepers keep Sebrights in confinement rather than allowing them to free range.[13] Due to their genetic make-up, males may on occasion be born infertile, further complicating breeding.[3]"

Trouble tried to steal chicks out of our brooder when she had her own 4 wk old brood. I think your hen's personality is more important than chick age. Our other broodies will only accept chicks within a few days of hatch time and attack chicks of diff ages. Of course our broodies will happily care for 1 up to 26 chicks at a time. For a week, Princess got all of her chicks plus all the incubator group.
ep.gif
Talk about a proud mama!

What color do you have? Is she friendly?

She is a Golden and yes she is very friendly, she is one of the eldest elders of the flock and thus received a lot of attention and handling when she was young as the flock was much smaller and newer, plus the kids have always gravitated towards here smaller size...

Last edited:
She is a Golden and yes she is very friendly, she is one of the eldest elders of the flock and thus received a lot of attention and handling when she was young as the flock was much smaller and newer, plus the kids have always gravitated towards here smaller size...
The neighborhood kids also love our Sebright. The girl who helped care for our chickens while we were away was excited to report that Trouble now learned how to fly up onto her arm too! (Basically anyone holding the treat can, an arm out, & calling her name will generally get a Sebright.)

I took a few pics today.

Will this guy ever fill out? LOL He's a very leggy lav orp, going through that awkward teen stage.

My 2 Appenzeller Spitzhauben pullets- finally laying. Their eggs are about the size of my Sebright's

My big beautiful Biele - named Hen Solo
Hard to appreciate her massive size in this pic

Back
Top Bottom