Illinois...

I just finished my lesson plans for tomorrow & it's time for bed. Didn't mean to tease everyone & say chicks are hatching & not share pics.

I don't have any good pics yet, but here's what's in the incubator:
8 chicks total (2 EEs, 1 Leghorn, 5 laced orps)
5 pips
2 eggs without pips.
IMG_8676.jpg
IMG_8683.jpg

In addition to those chicks, I got an extra one today. Someone bought hatching eggs from me for a 4H project & only one blue orp hatched. Poor little thing was lonely & not thriving. (Hatched Sunday) Since I happened to have chicks due today, I told her I'd take it off her hands. I also happened to have some extra orp eggs that were destined for breakfast, so I told her she could try again. I had experienced some egg fertility issues, so I wasn't sure if the problem could be my roos.

She brought over her incubator for me to examine; we discussed results and tried to figure out the problem. It turns out that her digital LG incubator has a box with heat coils. It looks about the size as a fan & even has openings - but no fan inside. Her eggs hatched 4 days late because she had it set for 99.5 (circulated air) and not 101 (still air). That also explained why so many had died.

Anyway, the little blue orp seemed weak and cried nonstop unless held. As soon as my friend arrived I popped the chick into the incubator. It was just as my 1st chick was zipping. It wanted a sibling so badly that it pecked away at the shell to help. I also put some food into the incubator & it went crazy. (1st time my friend saw it eat.)

The inner toes looked crooked at times, so I made little orthodics - chickie shoes. Not sure if the little blue will make it, but boy has it improved in just 6 hours! I need a good name like Lucky, Fortune, etc. Any ideas? Can you imagine hatching after being 2 degrees cooler throughout the entire incubation? It's got such a will to live.

I called farm and fleet but they only have average layers, polish and, 3 Buff silkies. Sadly they also won't replace my 4 silkie chicks that passed although I didn't talk to the woman in charge of it all.

I'm going to wait to add more silkies until I can sex these littles. Hopefully I've got mostly pullets I only have 5 little silkies left in the brooder and the two Welsummers. I just have to keep reminding myself that I have only ever lost one chick(which was a bantam Cochin with severe splay legs they gave me to try and help despite acting normally it never grew and failed to thrive) from them in all the years we've raised chickens. Also none of the birds we have gotten through them from Cackle hatchery have ever died from the Marek's in our flock.

None of the silkies that have died has had pasty butt or prolapse(the splash we were given with prolapse had become completely normal before it passed).

silver laced orps
silver laced orps 1.jpg

silver laced orps & blue silver laced orps
laced orps 2.jpg

black orps (with chance of lacing)
black.jpg

Do these shoes match my outfit?
orthodics.jpg

(This is the fighter who was determined to hatch even though the incubator was set 1.5 - 2 degrees low for all 25 days.) It's already the King of the Brooder and won't let the shoes slow it down.

I've got other chicks but these are the ones that made me very happy. The last two eggs still in the incubator. I believe I slipped them in later, because I didn't want to waste these silver laced orp eggs. Both are pipped tonight.

Here's the little chick with the "shoes." I removed them today & the toes are looking straight. What I still can't figure out is if it's a very dark blue or a very light black. Chick came from Jewel, so either color is possible.
IMG_8736.JPG

Back
Top Bottom