Illinois...

Yesterday about 3:30 I let some chickens out to play between the poultry yard and the high power line. I was in the poultry yard when a coon came across the ditch after the hens.. he looked at me and kept after the hens. I grab a shovel and ran at him... he didn't run away. I wacked him with the shovel and he looked surprised...kept after the chickens. I wacked him until he went up a tree. It looked like he was a couple yr old ..male.
I think he was sick not to run from me.. or a pet someone dumped... his canines tips were broken.. like he had been in a cage/trap. But he was in good shape... but a little thin and hungry for the wrong type of food.. no last meal for him, slow moving meat hens are safe. Silly birds are used to the coons that used to come for the mulberries and never went after them.

Silkies are definitely the hardest breed for me to sex. I have some 6.5 wk olds. Anyone who wants to give an opinion on gender, please feel free.

A = has the widest comb & slowest growing crest. My gut has always said male because it's "different" than the rest. It's a bit smaller and has a higher pitched peeping.
a-jpg.1383317

B= I simply can't tell. No obvious signs either way. I'm hoping for female.
b-jpg.1383318

C
= This one has a touch of color on the comb, but it's pretty flat & not very wide. I'm guessing male b/cof the color. It didn't want its photo taken.
c-jpg.1383319

D
= No real gender signs here either, so my guess can vary daily.
d-jpg.1383320

E
= DD's fav. My gut says female, but it could also be wishful thinking. This is the one we're going to keep.
e-jpg.1383321

Chick pic time!

OEG chicks = 6.5 weeks
IMG_8911 copy.jpg
IMG_8915 copy.jpg

Size diff is huge. The little OEG is smaller than the seramas. Both LOVE to cuddle!
IMG_8917 copy.jpg

Seramas: I think the silkied serama is our only male.
IMG_8920 copy.jpg

This girl is named 'Noodle' She's very confident & the leader of the brooder.
IMG_8925 copy.jpg
IMG_8926 copy.jpg
IMG_8932 copy.jpg

IMG_8936 copy.jpg

We kept one Orpington to see how she'd look feathered out. She's one of our sweetest birds & now the big protector of this group. She doesn't seem to realize that she's so much bigger.
IMG_8942 copy.jpg
IMG_8943 copy.jpg

We also kept a blue & a Dom from an earlier hatch. They're 10 weeks old. Still hoping the Dom is female.

IMG_8952 copy.jpg
IMG_8955.JPG

Silkies are definitely the hardest breed for me to sex. I have some 6.5 wk olds. Anyone who wants to give an opinion on gender, please feel free.

A = has the widest comb & slowest growing crest. My gut has always said male because it's "different" than the rest. It's a bit smaller and has a higher pitched peeping.
a-jpg.1383317

B= I simply can't tell. No obvious signs either way. I'm hoping for female.
b-jpg.1383318

C
= This one has a touch of color on the comb, but it's pretty flat & not very wide. I'm guessing male b/cof the color. It didn't want its photo taken.
c-jpg.1383319

D
= No real gender signs here either, so my guess can vary daily.
d-jpg.1383320

E
= DD's fav. My gut says female, but it could also be wishful thinking. This is the one we're going to keep.
e-jpg.1383321

Chick pic time!

OEG chicks = 6.5 weeks
View attachment 1383359 View attachment 1383360

Size diff is huge. The little OEG is smaller than the seramas. Both LOVE to cuddle!
View attachment 1383361

Seramas: I think the silkied serama is our only male.
View attachment 1383362
This girl is named 'Noodle' She's very confident & the leader of the brooder.
View attachment 1383363 View attachment 1383364 View attachment 1383365

View attachment 1383385

We kept one Orpington to see how she'd look feathered out. She's one of our sweetest birds & now the big protector of this group. She doesn't seem to realize that she's so much bigger.
View attachment 1383386 View attachment 1383387

We also kept a blue & a Dom from an earlier hatch. They're 10 weeks old. Still hoping the Dom is female.

View attachment 1383388View attachment 1383392

Eeek!!!! Okay okay taking deep breaths...

Before I forget my phone died last night sorry.

I've got a couple guesses on a couple of the silkies but really 1st guesses shouldn't be before 8 weeks, 12 weeks being better, and most should be sexable between 12-16 although a few can be iffy until they lay or crow.

I'm not seeing a ton of help here a couple stand more boyish but they could just be more dominate or curious. My buff girl, Ginger always had a more boyish stance but was 100% lady before the fox took her.

A and D look boyish to me and C looks iffy. But another 2-3 weeks are a must.

I still am wondering about the blue brassy/sdw OEGB that comb seems too big at 6.5 weeks I'm thinking it could be a boy. I hope I'm wrong but prepare DD. Some photos in better light might help. The side view the comb looks smallish but the front view makes it look huge.

I love the seramas!! What did DD name the little silkied boy?

The buff Orpington and the blue Orpington are stunning!!! Such beautiful little girls!

That Dom is 10 weeks? I was really thinking boy when you kept it now I'm not as sure. I don't have as much experience with them of course and every line can be different but I'm still not feeling sure of that one. The face just reads masculine to me.... Does that make sense?

Any pics of the little possible blue laced Orpington cockeral?

In the silkie pics, you can't judge by stance b/c I was in there sticking a camera in their beaks, so all were running crazy. Silkies A & C are my guesses for males, but honestly all I really care is that E is female. We only want to keep one & that's the fav. I have a feeling we'd have to keep it no matter the gender, so female would be preferred. Our friends can breed the silkies, I'll stick with my big fat orps. (They're far easier to sex)

Here's the little cockerel. Mama was my silver laced orp, Crystal. Daddy was probably my blk/lav split or "Dinner" If Dinner was the dad, you could try working on a lavender SLO project. There's also a chance Mr Wonderful mated her, but he was a late bloomer & not seen frequently mating 3 months ago. All I can say is that this one's a pure orp, a male, and well loved by a little boy. I told the family that I'd try to give him a good home on a farm.

20180508_151854.jpg

Laced orps are strange in that the juvenile feathers look nothing like the adults. Here's one from last summer:
blue laced 1.jpg
IMG_3288 copy.jpg

and now:
:eek: I went to visit him on Monday. Breath-taking! He's also very laid back and a gentleman with his hens. I didn't get to hear him crow. Like mine, he crows just 1-2xs in the morning and then done for the day.
IMG_8860.JPG

Likewise, my "Blizzard" was nothing much to look at as a chick.
blue laced 2.jpg
IMG_3625 copy.jpg
IMG_6877 copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom