Illinois...

Look what I just found in my incubator about 5 min ago:
(not due until Wed!)
Poof Poof's 1st purebred Spitzhauben chick!
img_0724-copy-jpg.1471023

:wee
img_0726-copy-jpg.1471024

:love

I happened to take this pic today. Who knew she'd be a mom just a few hours later?
img_0633-jpg.1471025

Same age cx mixed chick and turkeys
I think they're a couple of weeks younger than your first ones Faraday, chicken dreams

They're very cute! Love the pictures of the older ones please keep them coming!

Yesterday a white poult looked unwell. One of the ones in the last picture.... Dead under the roost this morning
:rant:hit
So down to five white and eight brown.... Glad I didn't get close to these poults... I would be devastated if they were pets. I have been looking at them as food and that I have more than I need
I see why they say poults are hard to raise.
I guess what makes it to 10 wks should be hearty.
I don't think I will be selling any jennies in case I have some diesease that might be spread.

So very sorry you lost one of the little white poults.

:hugs I'm sorry for your loss. Even as food, it's still sad to lose a bird.
What signs do you see before they die?

Thanks
they act cold or not well.. fluffed up, hunched over, lethargic ( just sitting around in the sun and/or by themselves) ... normal poop, eating and drinking. .. I put nutri drench in the water when I see this.. may just keep it in until they are 10 wks...need to buy stock in whatever company makes this.. I have 10 waters out that are changed daily, that turkeys can drink from ..turkey people say that poults are fragile until 8-10 weeks.

eta opened her up and everything looks normal, not sure what is going on... I have lost 4 with the same symptoms , but one stayed out during a thunderstorm, over 4th of july night.

Scary it happens so fast, but thanks for letting me know what to look out for. Mine are only 4 weeks & still in that danger zone of being fragile. Thankfully, they're finally learning the routine of going back & forth to the coop & tractor. My tractor for the turkeys has a flip lid (so they can't walk into it themselves), but this morning, they actually walked there and were waiting for me to lift it so they could walk under the wire. (It took them 4 weeks to learn this! LOL) I use tractors for all the young chicks for hawk protection. I move it just a little each day, so on a day when it gets moved to a new row, the chicks run to where they think it should be & go in circles looking for it.
:lau

Here's a video we made a few years ago to show what it looks like:

I think you'd see runny poop if not blood. Some symptoms are similar, though, so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

That's what i thought too, but on the turkey thread they said start corid asap... so what the heck, the corid has a date of 8-20-18 so might as well use it up.

I would for sure treat them for cocci. I've had a few chicks that were under the weather with no visible diarrhea. Here we have a very bad strain of cocci that can kill quickly. I also treated our chicks and our poults for cocci. Often when I treat our chicks for cocci they have no bloody stool but usually have diarrhea and other symptoms.

Found a turkey in the fort today.
:lau
View attachment 1476054

and he is telling you all about it :gig

in another thread R2elk said the poults look like calico and red bronze....
later on I posted my hen and he thought looks like maybe a Narragansett Semi-Color Semi Gray... which explains why there were yellow chicks this breeding

this is a crazy thread, ton of posts ...but this is where he said what they looked like to him
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-2-live-ducks.1229923/page-1491#post-20249862

well I started everyone on corid friday morning.. 1 and 1/2 heaping teaspoons of powder to a gallon of water... one of the browns with the turkey hen (hatch 6/18) is showing symptoms this morning:he

View attachment 1477637 View attachment 1477637

What are you feeding them?

Been busy helping DD get ready for the fair. She's been drawing, gluing, taking photos, practicing baking bread, dancing, making posters, etc....

Here are some of my favs of her photography: (Her silkied serama has been a big - or little- inspiration this year.)

She can only enter 1 photo & 1 photo edit, so here are her choices:

She also wrote & received a grant for her poultry project to get a keyboard & camera. She's been training a chicken to play piano. (Well, sort of. Bubbles hasn't been feeling up to much this past week Last week she was playing 7-10 notes in a row all by herself. Of course I didn't film it, so we simply used what we had. Tomorrow she presents 14 of her projects and the last 2 on Tuesday. Busy, busy girl!

Good for DD!

I had a great list of quotes all made up last night from all the messages I've missed and my phone lost it. Ugh so I guess I'll try again LOL

Congratulations @Faraday40 the baby spitzes are so cute!!

Do pullets lay smaller eggs at first and then progress to larger eggs as time goes on/ they continue to grow in?
We're have collected several eggs in the last week and I must say I am a little disappointed in the average size of the eggs. Our Speckled Sussex started laying about a week ago and our GLW started just a few days ago. I understand now that hormones play a major part in egg production and that itis no surprise to find odd eggs from pullets who just started laying, but consistently normal eggs seems beyond odd. The eggs I am talking about all have yolks and the shells are fine. Do these breeds just lay smaller eggs than I expected?
Pullets definitely lay smaller eggs and the egg size grows slowly as the bird matures. Different breeds lay diff sizes as well.

My Dominique lays medium to large eggs. They're cute pinkish eggs & about the size of an orp pullet egg. Of course Bubbles can help perform magic tricks & plays piano, so she has a different type of value.

What are you feeding them?
They get medicated purina 30% game bird starter for the first week or 2. not fermented
The ones with the turkey hen have been on that most of the time. They have been locked in except for brief excursions, because mom is overprotective. The one that was sick Sunday died Monday in this pen.

The others are with the chickens and toms...everyone in these 2 poultry yards is getting fermented 28% organic turkey starter, fresh milled from a co op in fairbury IL. The layers get fed some layer pellets as scratch ... egg customers want organic eggs so when the chicken broody took them out they were switched over.

They get medicated purina 30% game bird starter for the first week or 2. not fermented
The ones with the turkey hen have been on that most of the time. They have been locked in except for brief excursions, because mom is overprotective. The one that was sick Sunday died Monday in this pen.

The others are with the chickens and toms...everyone in these 2 poultry yards is getting fermented 28% organic turkey starter, fresh milled from a co op in fairbury IL. The layers get fed some layer pellets as scratch ... egg customers want organic eggs so when the chicken broody took them out they were switched over.

Sounds like you're feeding them great! I didn't mean for it to sound like you weren't feeding them correctly. Just trying to help you identify what could be the problem. Idk much about blackhead disease but any chance that they could be having problems with that?

DD entered 15 projects. We don't know all of the cooking results yet, and the eggs will be judged tomorrow. But out of the 12 projects so far, she won 12 blue ribbons, 8 class champions, 1 reserve grand champion, & 2 Best in Shows.

It's always funny to me what wins. Poor Bubbles did not earn Best in Show for animal science. A dog science fair project won. In all fairness, his project was very well done. I was just hoping DD would take that project to Springfield.

DD won Best for her clay & vet science. The vet sci project was an afternoon of smashing eggs to confirm that backyard eggs have stronger shells. It was a solid project but not as difficult as spending weeks teaching a chicken to play piano. Likewise, her clay was some realistic chocolate candies. They looked nice but did not compare to her outstanding paper quilling project. (She constructed 3 dancing ballerinas using long thin strips of paper.) The winning paper project was from "my 2nd daughter" (DD's best friend). She did an amazing paper quilled tree, similar to this:
IMG_1684.JPG

I'm very proud of her - especially since I taught both girls how to paper quill. It's a great hobby to keep those little fingers busy.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're feeding them great! I didn't mean for it to sound like you weren't feeding them correctly. Just trying to help you identify what could be the problem. Idk much about blackhead disease but any chance that they could be having problems with that?

no worries I didn't take it that way and can use any help
I also add red pepper to feed to help prevent worms and black head. Supposed to help with cocci too...Blackhead is supposed to cause liver lesions, so I had opened 2 up and everything looks normal inside. It's like they just get lethargic and die. The one that died Monday, Hatched 6/19, looked fine saturday, looked cold Sunday 7/22 about 7 am.... Monday ate and drank about 5:30 am and was laying on the coop floor by 9 am , died under a heating pad by noon:barnie
I tried taking the 2nd one in that got sick, but it wouldn't eat inside. Although that one lasted longer..Hatched 6/2 it got sick 6/22 and died 7/5
Now everytime one fluffs up i think they are ready to die.

DD entered 15 projects. We don't know all of the cooking results yet, and the eggs will be judged tomorrow. But out of the 12 projects so far, she won 12 blue ribbons, 8 class champions, 1 reserve grand champion, & 2 Best in Shows.

It's always funny to me what wins. Poor Bubbles did not earn Best in Show for animal science. A dog science fair project won. In all fairness, his project was very well done. I was just hoping DD would take that project to Springfield.

DD won Best for her clay & vet science. The vet sci project was an afternoon of smashing eggs to confirm that backyard eggs have stronger shells. It was a solid project but not as difficult as spending weeks teaching a chicken to play piano. Likewise, her clay was some realistic chocolate candies. They looked nice but did not compare to her outstanding paper quilling project. (She constructed 3 dancing ballerinas using long thin strips of paper.) The winning paper project was from "my 2nd daughter" (DD's best friend). She did an amazing paper quilled tree, similar to this:
IMG_1684.JPG

I'm very proud of her - especially since I taught both girls how to paper quill. It's a great hobby to keep those little fingers busy.

Beautiful work :ya... and I have trouble making a stickman :oops:

Hello weekend! As soon as I get out of work that is...
@Faraday40 the chicks are at 80 degrees in the brooder now. They are 3 weeks old if I have my math correct. Once I drop the brooder to 75 it is practically room temp in the garage where the brooder is located. I was thinking about just moving them outside this weekend. Seems early, but with summer temps it seems possible and they would get more room and access to plants and insects. However, have you had success introducing yours into the flock this early? 5 other hens are ~18 weeks, no roos, 2 orp chicks. Would I be better off sectioning off an area of run and adding a mini coop for the chickens?

Hello weekend! As soon as I get out of work that is...
@Faraday40 the chicks are at 80 degrees in the brooder now. They are 3 weeks old if I have my math correct. Once I drop the brooder to 75 it is practically room temp in the garage where the brooder is located. I was thinking about just moving them outside this weekend. Seems early, but with summer temps it seems possible and they would get more room and access to plants and insects. However, have you had success introducing yours into the flock this early? 5 other hens are ~18 weeks, no roos, 2 orp chicks. Would I be better off sectioning off an area of run and adding a mini coop for the chickens?
Being summer, the temps should be fine. I stopped using a brooder thermometer years ago. Basically, you can tell if they're too hot or cold by the way they act. The ones I have here do not all sleep under the broody. (Because I do not plan to keep them, I'm not bothering to integrate these chicks.)

I would partition off an area of the run for them to start the "look but don't peck" approach. In a few days to a week, open a small door for them to go in & out of their safety zone. Is your run predator proof? If not, you may have to have them sleep somewhere else at night or set up their area inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom