Illinois...

No he hasn't come home. We actually had two but only one we planned to breed. Both disappeared the same day. No feathers. No sounds. No trails no nothing.

@Faraday40
If you get any spare lavender cockerals please let me know. Especially any of the Isabella boys. I'm so sad I lost that big lavender boy. He was amazing.

I'm still hoping he'll show back up and has just gotten lost in the field. But it's been two days now.

We have had two other disappearances this spring/summer but not for months. *Knock on wood* we haven't seen any signs or sightings of the fox or the mink.

The only possible predator I've seen is a mostly feral cat but I've never seen it hunt the birds except the quail which it can't get to. All I've ever seen it do is stalk them. I can't imagine that cat could take out that massive rooster over 10-13 lbs.

I hate not having answers but I am wondering if something showed up and those two boys protected the flock. Idk. What's also odd is that they head out in opposite directions into the fields.

The one lavender boy that I decided to cull was seemingly partially blind after an eye injury. Still he held his own and thrived. The other was the picture of size and health.

@chickendreams24 I actually have 2 nice looking cockerels in need of a good home.
IMG_1541.JPG

These boys lived a very pampered life. Sadly, the woman can not keep cockerels, so I took them in as a favor. They are very sweet. I'm sure they'd prefer your place over mine. The lav male looks like he could have good breeding potential. (One reason I accepted them, but my kids prefer the lavs we already own.) These two are well bonded, so I'd prefer to give you both to ease the transition. Hatched May 30th.

I hope we can get together soon. I was hoping to schedule a visit this weekend, but
I hurt my back & spent most of Fri in pain. Needless to say, I won't be driving today.

@Molpet
The turkeys are doing OK. Jewel left them & thankfully they kept the routine of going to the tractor in the morning & the coop at night. Like teenagers, they like to "hang out" outside the coop for a while before going to bed. Often it's on top of the swingset or a nearby tree. My gut now says that at least 2 are male. Not sure about the 2nd brown one. I could have 3 males.

@Molpet
The turkeys are doing OK. Jewel left them & thankfully they kept the routine of going to the tractor in the morning & the coop at night. Like teenagers, they like to "hang out" outside the coop for a while before going to bed. Often it's on top of the swingset or a nearby tree. My gut now says that at least 2 are male. Not sure about the 2nd brown one. I could have 3 males.
Mine the same age as yours, mom is staying with them and may be a pair, they are in the coop before mom right now.
based on my gut 6 boys and 4 girls, but I have been fooled the past 2 years about those girls :lau.. hopefully the ones that died weren't the only girls, I know 2/8 were...
The oldest poults have almost their own coop, and run in as soon as they see the mealworms. The middle 2 hatches are in 2 different coops with their chicken siblings and adult chickens. They tend to stay by the siblings at roost time.. I will see if this continues... The last 2 years the poults were 8wks when i got them and i had issues with them trying to stay in trees all night... I have a length of downspout that is very scary and they were happy to get out of the trees and off the coop when it showed up :gig.. Treats in coops with lots of birds just causes chaos with the older chasing the younger,
Prayers at least one is a hen.... looks like you will have turkey dinner in your future:drool. Unless the kids object

Since we are on the subject of Turkeys,,,,,,,,,,,,, have a couple of questions..
This company only sells hens??:idunno
1751b39bd77dfa1d1009980c051f6c717d68065e_r0_450_framed.png

All packages say Young Turkey... How do I go about getting an OLD one???:idunno

Also around Thanksgiving our Highest Leader give a PARDON to 2 of these,,,,,
20130411__130414ORRICK1.jpg

Why not 2 of these,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :idunno
maxresdefault.jpg

Hoping everyone got at least a CHUCKLE today:frow

Went to the
IMG_1573.JPG

for DD's 4H project.

Saw the butter cow & cow couch
IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1584.JPG

Oldest reached the top while rock climbing. She lost her footing a couple times but hung on tight with her hands. She found a foothold & then continued to climb. I was impressed.
IMG_1601.JPG

Youngest was awesome at archery (all 3 arrows landed in center!) & shooting. It was his 1st time with a BB gun & he blew out the center of his target.
IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1618.JPG

.... and of course:
IMG_1621.JPG

DD earned the award of excellence but also a "superior" ribbon which is given to only the top projects.

Went to the
View attachment 1504877
for DD's 4H project.

Saw the butter cow & cow couch
View attachment 1504767 View attachment 1504769

Oldest reached the top while rock climbing. She lost her footing a couple times but hung on tight with her hands. She found a foothold & then continued to climb. I was impressed.
View attachment 1504772

Youngest was awesome at archery (all 3 arrows landed in center!) & shooting. It was his 1st time with a BB gun & he blew out the center of his target.
View attachment 1504776 View attachment 1504777

.... and of course:
View attachment 1504778

DD earned the award of excellence but also a "superior" ribbon which is given to only the top projects.

Yay congratulations to your DD!

Lol about the butter cow.

Good job to your DS

Back
Top Bottom