Illinois...

Hi everybody new here. I'm in western Lake county. I've had my chickens for a few years and bought the 5 acre tract next to my dad. I built my run off the back of my dads old shed, that goes into the coop. We both have 5 acres in unincorporated Lake county. I have 11 blue Ameraucana in an incubator set to hatch Saturday, along with 5 Marans. On my side of the fence I was just about to start building a bigger run/coop in out of an old shed. The lot sat vacant for 4 years before the bank decided to sell it when we snatched it up. Been clearing the brush in between tearing one of the houses down while remodeling the other on my property. Was hoping someone here was familiar with the Lake County ordinances about chickens and runs. I just found out I have to register and apply with a sketch of the proposed area, and satisfy all setback requirements. Is anyone from Lake County familiar with any of this? Been dealing with the county trying to get my house plans approved, and it has been a hassle to say the least. Been rejected 4 times already. The last was because we didn't have crawl space vents. Need 8 sq feet of vents in the crawl space. In the same breath they want the crawl space insulated....kind of defeats the purpose of insulating the crawl space with 8 cumulative sq feet of vent in the walls. Especially after that nasty winter.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. Hoping someone could give me some insight and how much red tape there may be.

no, but lookup pvc chicken plucker on youtube, basically you need a drill, a rod, pvc cap we used 4inch, and either rubber tarp straps/bungee cords or the plucker fingers (what i used) bought 50 on ebay for $16..if you use the bungee cords you use the real short one you can get them anywhere cut in half you then have two fingers, so you need about 5 or 6.. you make holes in rows of 2 around the cap so you can slide the cut end out..we help the drill down to a make shift taple with a couple of screws through a plastic milk jug cut apart so feather etc wouldn't get in the motor, and used a zip tie around the trigger to keep it on at about medium speed, just plug or unplug for on and off..we have many fingers left over to make one costs a about $25 or less...works pretty good

If you don't want to make your own, you can get one on Amazon, although it is a little more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Pluck...id=1398907854&sr=8-1&keywords=chicken+plucker

Hi everybody new here. I'm in western Lake county. I've had my chickens for a few years and bought the 5 acre tract next to my dad. I built my run off the back of my dads old shed, that goes into the coop. We both have 5 acres in unincorporated Lake county. I have 11 blue Ameraucana in an incubator set to hatch Saturday, along with 5 Marans. On my side of the fence I was just about to start building a bigger run/coop in out of an old shed. The lot sat vacant for 4 years before the bank decided to sell it when we snatched it up. Been clearing the brush in between tearing one of the houses down while remodeling the other on my property. Was hoping someone here was familiar with the Lake County ordinances about chickens and runs. I just found out I have to register and apply with a sketch of the proposed area, and satisfy all setback requirements. Is anyone from Lake County familiar with any of this? Been dealing with the county trying to get my house plans approved, and it has been a hassle to say the least. Been rejected 4 times already. The last was because we didn't have crawl space vents. Need 8 sq feet of vents in the crawl space. In the same breath they want the crawl space insulated....kind of defeats the purpose of insulating the crawl space with 8 cumulative sq feet of vent in the walls. Especially after that nasty winter.

My apologies for going off on a tangent. Hoping someone could give me some insight and how much red tape there may be.
http://www.lakecountyil.gov/Plannin...13 Local Food) Exhibit A - 11-12-13 Final.pdf

The ordinance is above

frow.gif
orpington13! Welcome! My sister-in-law lives in St. Charles but we live about an hour west and a little south of there.

I imagine a few more people from Homewood IL will be joining soon since our town just changed the ordinance. Hooray! Anybody else from Homewood?

Back
Top Bottom