Illinois...

The cats belong to a neighbor. It doesn't bother anyone that they roam around. He's had them for about 4+ years. Of course no one is bothered by my hens & rooster either. Basically, we have great neighbors here, so I don't want to make an issue. I just got a little nervous while they were "watching" my chickens, because the cats rarely come close to our backyard. Good to know that cats normally prefer smaller/younger animals & that a chicken would fight back. The coop/run is very secure at night, but during the day, the chickens free range within a fenced yard.

Thanks everyone.

Cat vs Chickens?

Two neighborhood cats are a couple houses away & looking toward my chickens! My roo (who rarely crows) made a lot of noise for about 2 min straight. My dog was frantically digging at the fence trying to get to them. The cats have lived in the neighborhood for over 4 years and can be seen roaming free. They have rarely entered our yard. I know our dogs discourage most animals from entering, but my dogs will have to come inside at some point. If the cats do decide to visit, will an Orpington rooster be able to protect the hens? Honestly, I'm not sure if the cats are interested in a chicken dinner, but they were looking. Although I'm sure a barking dog trying to rip them apart would also be something they would want to watch. Do cats like to hunt chickens? I have no experience with cats.

Our neighborhood cats, free range and feral, love to watch my chickens when they cut through my yard. IMHO.... Full grown hens win. The cats just seem to watch, study and move on.

A frequent visitor (moo-cat) studied our new pullets for a about 25 minutes one day before he chose to move along.

I have been wondering the same thing. We have had a feral cat living in the neighborhood for a couple of years now. I use to feed her and the kittens last year. So when I saw her about a week ago, I got a little worried about my girls. But I feel a little better reading SixChickFlock's post. I also should add, I received my French Copper Maran and Blue Maran eggs today! So excited!!! They will be going in the incubator tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Ok illinois friends I'm not getting any response in the coop design area so I'm bringing my problem here:)
I need help, the humidity in my coop is almost 70% and it's so small I don't know where to add the ventilation without adding a draft. I don't want to retype it all so I'm just putting the link on here. If I can't get it down they are going to have to winter in the garage where I can ensure a draft free zone but that is a lot more work I think.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935716/ventilation-help-pictures-included

Ok illinois friends I'm not getting any response in the coop design area so I'm bringing my problem here:)
I need help, the humidity in my coop is almost 70% and it's so small I don't know where to add the ventilation without adding a draft. I don't want to retype it all so I'm just putting the link on here. If I can't get it down they are going to have to winter in the garage where I can ensure a draft free zone but that is a lot more work I think.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935716/ventilation-help-pictures-included
I think you're overthinking this quite a bit. Raising chickens is not a complicated, nor fancy endeavor. Find somewhere on the South side, and cut an opening.

I raise a breed that is thin feathered, and geared to live in a warmer climate. They're fairly valueble birds as I sell them for $100 a breeding trio, or $65 a dozen for hatching eggs.

My coop is 3 sided, with the South side being completely open. It's tin sided with oak boards for the frame. It's as cheaply built and functional as a chicken house could be.

I think you're overthinking this quite a bit.  Raising chickens is not a complicated, nor fancy endeavor.  Find somewhere on the South side, and cut an opening.  

I raise a breed that is thin feathered, and geared to live in a warmer climate.  They're fairly valueble birds as I sell them for $100 a breeding trio, or $65 a dozen for hatching eggs.

My coop is 3 sided, with the South side being completely open.  It's tin sided with oak boards for the frame.  It's as cheaply built and functional as a chicken house could be.  

Thanks for your input. Just trying to make mine as functional as possible so I'm not dealing with frost bite or worried about them all winter. I'm a bit of a worry wart.

Thanks for your input. Just trying to make mine as functional as possible so I'm not dealing with frost bite or worried about them all winter. I'm a bit of a worry wart.
The chickens that are babied, pampered, worried about, and treated as pets- are the ones that have problems and turn into disaster.

The chickens that are treated like livestock- as they are- have great results regardless of the conditions presented all winter long.

Same goes for dogs and cats. If they are outside animals- leave them outside.

Provide nutrition, shelter, and monitoring- and they'll be fine. It's amazing how livestock's bodies adapt to the elements.

Mother nature didn't intend to make raising livestock a complecated process.

The chickens that are babied, pampered, worried about, and treated as pets- are the ones that have problems and turn into disaster.

The chickens that are treated like livestock- as they are- have great results regardless of the conditions presented all winter long.

Same goes for dogs and cats. If they are outside animals- leave them outside.

Provide nutrition, shelter, and monitoring- and they'll be fine. It's amazing how livestock's bodies adapt to the elements.

Mother nature didn't intend to make raising livestock a complecated process.

X2 The worst thing for a outside animal is to bring it indoors for a extended stay . When they are put back outside days later it is a shock to their system .

I agree with KFacres. Chickens are really easy and pretty hardy. Here are some pictures of my set up. Coop and run are on the South side of my garage.

They get no heated water bowls, no light bulbs, the vents on the short ends of the coop are covered in screen only, and I leave the door on the South side open almost 24/7. They are happy, healthy, and hardy egg laying machines. I was getting 2-3 eggs per day from 6 hens last winter at -20. The only frost bite problems I had was on wattles that got wet from dipping them in the water bowl to drink.

I agree with KFacres. Chickens are really easy and pretty hardy. Here are some pictures of my set up. Coop and run are on the South side of my garage.

They get no heated water bowls, no light bulbs, the vents on the short ends of the coop are covered in screen only, and I leave the door on the South side open almost 24/7. They are happy, healthy, and hardy egg laying machines. I was getting 2-3 eggs per day from 6 hens last winter at -20. The only frost bite problems I had was on wattles that got wet from dipping them in the water bowl to drink.
Just wondering, how do you handle snow inside your run? My chickens have a covered run attached to the coop. Occasionally, a little snow dust would enter, but only in the worst blizzards. Last winter they did well, but I found they never left the run/coop. The only place they would sometimes walk would be on the patio where I shoveled a path. As soon as I went into the house, they went back into their run. Mine just didn't like the snow. Do you shovel your run or cover in plastic sheeting for the winter? or Do your chickens actually walk in the snow?

Back
Top Bottom