Illinois...

kfacres there are a lot of people who feel that fertilized eggs are healthier to eat.
I have to contain myself a little here... BUT.

There are lot of people who steal, beg, and borrow without return.
There are lot of people to lazy to get a job.
There are lot of people, who do a lot of silly things, and believe a lot of silly things to be healthier for them.

To those people, I encourage them to do some research, use some practical reasoning, and some good old fashioned common sense.

This thread is one of the oldest on the Where am I? Where are you? Forum yet only has 3,492 posts compared to other younger threads with 10 or 20 times as many.

Different people keep chickens for different reasons. There is no reason to belittle some one just because they don't do things the way someone else thinks is the right way to do things. We should be able to share ideas without feeling like someone will belittle us if we do.

Without knowing my layout, coop, run, number of hens, etc. I don't think you can have a valid opinion on if I have too many.

These birds were hatched May 2nd of last year. They fight, and chase eachother but it hasn't been bad. I have re-introduced. Successfully. Believe what you want. I won't add any more roosters without culling. When my hens show signs of barebacks, I'll lower that number.
I added a NEW rooster to our flock of 24 that already has 3+ roosters in it. It can be done.

If a rooster is just around, running with a group of hens, and he's low on the pecking order- likely low enough that he's not breeding anything (when even in fact, it's likely you aren't hatching anything anyways).
WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO KEEP THEM? These things are expensive enough, I don't want any extra to feed.

My birds are worth enough it pays to keep a couple extra roosters around for breeding pens and backups- but to the average person I don't see the point. These birds here are valuable enough, I can't afford to put two males together and risk the chance of injury, or death. It would hurt financially, as well as to my breeding program.
I plan to keep my low-pecking-order roos for bug patrol on our property and for hawk alerts/ protection! They are good sized roos and will eventually be for the soup pot but this spring when I can free range some again those extra roos will not be getting much grain and will go a loooong way to keeping us alerted to hawks and for helping to eat the ticks out here on our country property.

It turns out that the maran I was waiting for, he is a cockerel. He has the tiniest rust color feather coming in on his wing. He also has a bump on his comb, not a sprig like his brother, but I am sure his offspring will get them. So now, I don't have a black copper to cross with my legbar to get my Olive Eggers! Glad I ordered the blue maran eggs and hopefully I will have a better hatch this time around! What do you think about crossing a blue maran rooster with a CClegbar?

Last edited:
My Welsummer decided to go broody today! This is my first experience with this and were about to get two of the coldest days in 79yrs or something crazy like that! She's sitting in a pile of hay, not far from the perch her sisters sleep on (I only have 3). I took her eggs and golfballs away and she made this crazy annoyed purring sound but didn't peck at me. I'm really hoping she changes her mind, it's too cold to not get the water while it's thawed. Anything I can do to persuade her to abandon nest and cuddle on the perch at night?
Silly chicken!

If a rooster is just around, running with a group of hens, and he's low on the pecking order- likely low enough that he's not breeding anything (when even in fact, it's likely you aren't hatching anything anyways).
WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO KEEP THEM? These things are expensive enough, I don't want any extra to feed.

My birds are worth enough it pays to keep a couple extra roosters around for breeding pens and backups- but to the average person I don't see the point. These birds here are valuable enough, I can't afford to put two males together and risk the chance of injury, or death. It would hurt financially, as well as to my breeding program.

I have to contain myself a little here... BUT.

There are lot of people who steal, beg, and borrow without return.
There are lot of people to lazy to get a job.
There are lot of people, who do a lot of silly things, and believe a lot of silly things to be healthier for them.

To those people, I encourage them to do some research, use some practical reasoning, and some good old fashioned common sense.

Again, you're making a lot of assumptions. Which is fine, but just make sure you break down the root word. ***-u-me.

"What good does it do to keep them?" Well, I can afford it so that isn't really a big deal to me. Frankly they save me money. Because of chickens, I'll save 3,000 dollars a year because they've got me an AG Exemption. So, yeah I'll let the little guys live for that reason alone. I may turn them into soup in the future, but that's my choice. Not yours.

"when even in fact, it's likely you aren't hatching anything anyways"- Wrong again. I do hatch my own eggs. At one time I had over 25 turkeys. And I had hatched all but 4. Still have a few. My one Naragansett is my buddy. But very soon I plan to hatch more Ameraucana and BCM chicks. Waiting for the weather to get just a bit better. I'll also add in some other eggs I've yet to purchase.

As far as fertilized eggs being healthier. Healthier probably isn't the best term, but a fertile egg certainly won't hurt you. An ill-advised person recently suggested I get quail as their eggs are healthier than chicken eggs. I had to look up the nutritional facts, and on a per 100 gram basis, that just isn't true. Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Now, as a serious question coming from someone who has never been to church and somewhat ill-informed when it comes to Christian beliefs... A person that is anti-abortion, will that person knowingly eat a fertilized chicken egg?

Back
Top Bottom