Illinois...

Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's a juvenile. It does not have the reddish eyes of an adult. In late summer I found it sitting inside my run watching the entrance to the coop (where my flock was huddled). I let it thrash around a while & quickly closed the coop entry. When it didn't find the door, I had the idea of trapping it inside the run. As I was closing the door, I felt it's wings brush against the door. Not sure what I would have done if I had trapped it..... That hawk was either the same one- but slightly smaller - or a sharp-shinned hawk. If this is the same hawk, it grew, but the markings look the same.

Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's a juvenile. It does not have the reddish eyes of an adult. In late summer I found it sitting inside my run watching the entrance to the coop (where my flock was huddled). I let it thrash around a while & quickly closed the coop entry. When it didn't find the door, I had the idea of trapping it inside the run. As I was closing the door, I felt it's wings brush against the door. Not sure what I would have done if I had trapped it..... That hawk was either the same one- but slightly smaller - or a sharp-shinned hawk. If this is the same hawk, it grew, but the markings look the same.
They say the males are smaller than the females. So maybe you have a family that moved into your neighborhood. You might have both visiting the coop. But they also say since the male is smaller than the female, he too can end up as a meal! Here's to hoping!

First, If you were not wearing welding gloves, consider the capture equivalent to catching a Ferrel cat. Someone would be bleeding, and most likely not the hawk. Secondly, these birds are federally protected. Don't need to say more. One year I had one make nest in my tree. The young one made it to maturity. MAGNIFICENT BIRDS and very much needed in nature. Of course I was always in fear of loosing my chickens. Did not let them free range in the yard by themselves. They stayed in a secluded area that is tarp covered. Not in a all net covered area. If hawks cant drop down on their prey, they will avoid landing on the ground and chasing their meal on foot. This is my observation in past times when I did have hawk related losses. It is also directly related as to available food supply. They will go for easiest meal. Mouse, snake, other birds, etc. I know these hawks sure do give us plenty of concerns, but they are essential. Spiders are also not liked by many. but they are just as essential. I will never kill a spider outdoors. I like to say to the HAWKS, that share the same earth with me. """"""" DON'T GO AWAY,MAD, !!!!! JUST GO AWAY """""""

Well, I found a new home for my 2 legbar cockerels. I kept the best cockerel. He and the 3 girls seemed sad. But this afternoon, he is out and about, I think loving it, being the only guy in the yard! Strutting around and even going up to the older girls and they don't seem to mind. Happier flock!

Hello all... Weird hen/rooster routine here, or so I think!

I installed a CoopCam over the weekend. It's been fun verifying the layers of eggs, but today I'm able to devote the entire day to recording who does what when. It's been a slow day in the coop except for one bit of oddness.

Dove, a young white colored Ameraucana/EE has either been laying HUGE mauve colored eggs (74 grams) or hasn't begun to lay yet. I was hoping for blue or green eggs.

Since about noon, Dove has been checking out each of the three nests. She will step in one then the next, kinda playing Goldilocks. Then all of a sudden, the Rooster comes in... Goes into the hardly ever used box like he's gonna lay an egg and she follows him in, eventually pushing him out where he seems to stand guard until she comes out. He's done this 4 times now and she still can't pick a nest.

Three other girls who haven't laid yet today have made appearances but not entered a nest. Two others each left a beautiful egg.

What's the Roo doing???

I'm fascinated... He just gently shooed Raven out of the coop and let Dove in. She went to the middle box, he went in the north box and she followed hin again. These are not big boxes... 12X12X14 tall.

Now Dove and Roo are just talking in the hen house!

Last edited:
Since about noon, Dove has been checking out each of the three nests. She will step in one then the next, kinda playing Goldilocks. Then all of a sudden, the Rooster comes in... Goes into the hardly ever used box like he's gonna lay an egg and she follows him in, eventually pushing him out where he seems to stand guard until she comes out. He's done this 4 times now and she still can't pick a nest.

What's the Roo doing???

I'm fascinated... He just gently shooed Raven out of the coop and let Dove in. She went to the middle box, he went in the north box and she followed hin again. These are not big boxes... 12X12X14 tall.

I always think the activity from a rooster is hilarious. Seems that hens are too stupid to know where and when to lay eggs so the rooster has to show them lol

I had a cochin banty checking out the nest and sitting him them for several weeks before she finally laid and egg.

I observed a roo doing similar things in my garage last summer. It was odd circumstances but he basically picked out a nest spot (in my goat hay in the garage) for the ladies and was basically showing them their nest options. When the ladies finally got the message he would stand just above them while they took turns laying eggs in the area he picked out. I took a photo of it that I'll try to dig up.

Hello all... Weird hen/rooster routine here, or so I think!

I installed a CoopCam over the weekend. It's been fun verifying the layers of eggs, but today I'm able to devote the entire day to recording who does what when. It's been a slow day in the coop except for one bit of oddness.

Dove, a young white colored Ameraucana/EE has either been laying HUGE mauve colored eggs (74 grams) or hasn't begun to lay yet. I was hoping for blue or green eggs.

Three other girls who haven't laid yet today have made appearances but not entered a nest. Two others each left a beautiful egg.

What's the Roo doing???

That's funny.
My former roo was the only boy hatched. He was so sweet & definitely had his quirks. When our 1st pullet began to lay, he would stand guard, pace back and forth, then sing the egg song along with the girls. As new pullets started laying, he tried joining them. Once he jumped into the nest next to me, made some noses, then hopped out clucking the egg song. I thought, "Was he actually trying to convince me that he just made that golf ball?"

Here's my silly roo.

That's funny.
My former roo was the only boy hatched. He was so sweet & definitely had his quirks. When our 1st pullet began to lay, he would stand guard, pace back and forth, then sing the egg song along with the girls. As new pullets started laying, he tried joining them. Once he jumped into the nest next to me, made some noses, then hopped out clucking the egg song. I thought, "Was he actually trying to convince me that he just made that golf ball?"

Here's my silly roo.

He's beautiful! VERY similar in color and markings to my Juniper Martini Martin Marty Jimbo the Roo!

Back
Top Bottom