Illinois...

I am so excited that I have to share with people who get it! It's been arranged! I'm getting my bantam frizzle cochin chicks from ellymayrans (not sure she comes to this thread, she's on the Indiana one) in April! We are going to Indy for a communion and she's down that way so I'm going to get them then (if anyone else is interested I'd be willing to transport) and I can't wait!!
wee.gif

Anyone keep sand in the brooder? I've seen it online but I used shavings last time and it was so dusty I don't want to do that again.

I can feel your excitement! I have never used sand before, but have been thinking about building something like a litter box just under the roosting bars for easier clean up for the summer. For my brooder I have always used paper towels. Its a fast clean up. Then when I move them to the large crate, I use newspapers, the black and white print, not the glossy sale ads.

Hi, We would like to hatch some chicks. We have never done this before. We have an incubator with an egg turner. We will start collecting eggs on the 9th and will be putting them in the incubator on 17th. How do we care for the eggs before we put them in the incubator?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin & Colton

Hi, We would like to hatch some chicks. We have never done this before. We have an incubator with an egg turner. We will start collecting eggs on the 9th and will be putting them in the incubator on 17th. How do we care for the eggs before we put them in the incubator?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin & Colton
The longer you wait to start your incubation, your eggs will be less viable. When I get my eggs, I let them rest for only 24 hours, set in an egg carton round end up, at room temp. Then they go into the incubator that has been running for at least a day. I wouldn't wait that long! I have only been doing this for a year, maybe someone else can jump in here and give you some help.

I have some maran eggs in the incubator right now. They are due to hatch Saturday. Here is a link that Faraday40 sent to me. It is Hatching Eggs 101 lots of information to help. If you have any questions just ask, everyone here has helped me out tremendously.
Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Last edited:

Thanks for any help.

Kevin & Colton

I set eggs once a week . A 8 day gather will be fine . Longer than that and they will start to loose viability .

Thanks for any help.

Kevin & Colton
I try to set eggs no longer than 8-10 days, depending on the time of year, what I'm hatching from, and how full the 'bator is.

My prep is keeping them in the cool basement, in a constant temp that's cool. I put them in a carton, pointy end down, and set one end on a book or something inch and a half or so in the air. I'll flip and flop the carton twice a day so the air bubble doesn't stick.

Thanks, for all your help. Hoping to hatch some Blue Orpingtons and other mixes. We have a Splash Orp rooster and a couple black Orp hens. We will see what we get. We have a black Orp rooster also and 2 splash hens that we want to put together when it warms up. All our Orp's are from a Breeder. Colton's Splash rooster placed well at our fair last year. We already have 37 chicks to choose from for the fair this year. Will keep you posted on how our hatching goes.

Thanks again, Kevin

Thanks for any help.

Kevin & Colton
You should join the Easter Hatchalong. It is a great place to ask questions and get answers since so many people participate in it each year. The link is in my signature. The set date for chicken eggs is March 14 but they allow an extra two days on either side for starting.

I can feel your excitement! I have never used sand before, but have been thinking about building something like a litter box just under the roosting bars for easier clean up for the summer. For my brooder I have always used paper towels. Its a fast clean up. Then when I move them to the large crate, I use newspapers, the black and white print, not the glossy sale ads.

I use sand in my run and under my roosting bar. It is so easy to clean, I can't imagine ever changing. I ordered a ton of the construction grade stuff and still have a garbage can full so I was thinking of putting that in the brooder for easy clean up. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for the chicks :)

I use sand in my run and under my roosting bar. It is so easy to clean, I can't imagine ever changing. I ordered a ton of the construction grade stuff and still have a garbage can full so I was thinking of putting that in the brooder for easy clean up. Just wanted to make sure it's safe for the chicks
smile.png

I don't know. Did you try a search for any related articles on this site?

Back
Top Bottom