Illinois...

Just wanted to post a pic of the Jumbo eggs I am getting from my Leghorn I picked up from the Ag school. She has given me an egg everyday since I have gotten her, even with the stress of being introduced to a new home. Now I need to borrow a CCL Roo for a couple of days, so I can get some Sapphire hybrid chicks! @Junibutt are you interested in some sapphires?

I might actually have some White Legbars that lay blue eggs. Will find out in a couple of weeks!
smile.png

Came across this article, 5.3 million hens will be culled due to AI in Iowa. So sad. http://www.bostonherald.com/news_op...nfirmed_at_iowa_farm_with_53_million_chickens

I saw that story an hour ago. 20 buildings, about 260,000 hens per building. We really need better ways to meet our food supply, the current system isn't just cruel, it is very risky. One error can cause massive damage. I remember a case about 15 years ago where the ground beef in one single processor was bad. IIRC the recall covered 10 states, 10,000 reported cases of food poisoning, I think it was a couple million pounds of beef (and therefore the meat from 6,000 to 10,000 animals) had to be destroyed. From one single facility. Insane.

I am wondering how will it affect the price of chickens.??? We eat quite a bit of chickens, ALL STORE BOUGHT. My girls are pets only. I see eggs going up in price for sure, Until new layers can catch up. We get enough eggs from our hens to make out OK. No fancy cakes and pastries though. LOL

I am wondering how will it affect the price of chickens.??? We eat quite a bit of chickens, ALL STORE BOUGHT. My girls are pets only. I see eggs going up in price for sure, Until new layers can catch up. We get enough eggs from our hens to make out OK. No fancy cakes and pastries though. LOL

Well I guess I might be holding on to all the roosters that I have hatched til they grow out! Not really, I can't do that either. But, I agree with you, prices will definitely be going up.

Old Irving Park Area

I recently saw a flock of 4 in my neighborhood... On Pulaski south of Avondale. Wondering if they belong to anyone on this thread and just wanted to say Hi! And what good looking birds you have!

I have heard of two other coops in my little quadrant, but but have located only one of them.

I am on Kenneth, North of Milwaukee. You can sometimes see my girls hanging out in the front yard under the birch tree.

Cheers,

Tim

Old Irving Park Area

I recently saw a flock of 4 in my neighborhood... On Pulaski south of Avondale. Wondering if they belong to anyone on this thread and just wanted to say Hi! And what good looking birds you have!

I have heard of two other coops in my little quadrant, but but have located only one of them.

I am on Kenneth, North of Milwaukee. You can sometimes see my girls hanging out in the front yard under the birch tree.

Cheers,

Tim

I had heard that there were other folks in my neighborhood that had chickens, so I started a Facebook group page and posted it on the Moms groups in the neighborhood. To my surprise, 26 people joined from the neighborhood. Maybe you can find them that way.

Back
Top Bottom