Illinois...

Quote:Originally Posted by ChicagoClucker

QUESTION....... Are those webers back there for a reason.??? Like KEEP LAYING OR ELSE.... Hint Hint.
lau.gif

Where did you get them from? They are beautiful. The pretty yellow looks to have feathered feet ( my eyes are bad though haha), so probably a Cochin, which are known to go broody, which is a good and bad thing. I also think the all black one has a Pea Comb? if so he is either a easter egger or ameraucana and you will get green or blue eggs perhaps. Are the chicks in the last pic White or Lavender? Maybe someone else can jump in on some others.
I got them from a friend at work. He is a 4H leader in Brimfield he also has a few chickens.

If you upload some individual pics, we can help identify. They white guy with black spots in the the bottom pic looks like a CA White and the buff colored chick in the middle looks like a Buff Orpington to me. Does she have feathered legs? If so, it's not a BO but maybe a Buff Brahma? Anyone else want to guess?
yes she does have feathers all the way down her legs. She is one of my favorites. The black one has a few feathers on its legs also. I also noticed that it's features have a blue sheen to them if that helps also.

Kind of excited.
It turned out to be a busy/crazy day. Husband and daughter are sick. Had the grandsons over til late. I took my daughter into the walk in Clinic at 6:00pm. Waiting forever, at 8pm, I texted home and asked my son to lock up the girls and boys for me. Gave instructions, who goes where and to do head count. Got home at 9:30 and went out to check and make sure everyone was in. That's when panic set in, 1 of the CCLs wasn't in the coop. Started calling for her, looking, nothing. So I check the nesting boxes and there she is. MY 1st BROODY! I was so busy today, I didn't get a chance to collect eggs and she is all over them. I am letting her sit for tonite. Trying to decide if I should try slipping the Orp chicks coming tomorrow under her. I also have 2 of my project eggs in lockdown, due to hatch Friday. I am hesitant because both were expensive purchases. Don't know if I should trust her with them. The other problem is, she is in the Favorite nesting box! Wish she went broody earlier

Quote:Originally Posted by ChicagoClucker

QUESTION....... Are those webers back there for a reason.??? Like KEEP LAYING OR ELSE.... Hint Hint.
lau.gif

Ok, you made me bust out laughing. at the doctors. That was funny.

I needed room for the grow out pens and all the wood for the new coop in the garage. Sooooo, the husbands, huge weber and regular size weber, had to find a new home. So out they went. Its was just about grilling time anyway and none of the chickens in this picture were harmed. My disclaimer!

I vote for Cochin . Simply because Brahma is supposed to have recessive feather leg gene . Most breeds have a dominant feather leg gene .
All my CCL x Brahma crosses had feathers so if the gene is recessive, how would that happen? Would that mean that my Brahmas were not pure bred and had some other feathered breed blood in them?

Kind of excited.
It turned out to be a busy/crazy day. Husband and daughter are sick. Had the grandsons over til late. I took my daughter into the walk in Clinic at 6:00pm. Waiting forever, at 8pm, I texted home and asked my son to lock up the girls and boys for me. Gave instructions, who goes where and to do head count. Got home at 9:30 and went out to check and make sure everyone was in. That's when panic set in, 1 of the CCLs wasn't in the coop. Started calling for her, looking, nothing. So I check the nesting boxes and there she is. MY 1st BROODY! I was so busy today, I didn't get a chance to collect eggs and she is all over them. I am letting her sit for tonite. Trying to decide if I should try slipping the Orp chicks coming tomorrow under her. I also have 2 of my project eggs in lockdown, due to hatch Friday. I am hesitant because both were expensive purchases. Don't know if I should trust her with them. The other problem is, she is in the Favorite nesting box! Wish she went broody earlier
They always seem to go broody when the hatch is done already.
he.gif
Time for another hatch!

P.S. My Blue is growing like a monster or at least looks like one because it is so fluffy while its brother/sister Splash is almost half the size, actually most other chicks are half the size. I think my hopes of it being a pullet are dying with this rapid growth. I guess Blue x Splash can give me all Blue chicks, too bad they are siblings though!

All my CCL x Brahma crosses had feathers so if the gene is recessive, how would that happen? Would that mean that my Brahmas were not pure bred and had some other feathered breed blood in them?

Well as I said supposed to . I suspect not all are that way . There are a lot of new colors being added to the breed so maybe some other genes got in the breed that way . It interests me that there are 2 genes for feather legs . I have seen pictures of clean leg crosses . Thought of trying a cross just to see how they turn out .

Here is a pair of my hybrid Cream Legbar x crele EE . Pullet is getting a really red comb . She may lay soon . These hatched early February .

Back
Top Bottom