Illinois...

Don't feel guilty. Two years ago I had a makeshift coop, a "wooden tent" built on a pallet, and my 20 some hens suddenly stopped laying in July. They decided to burrow underneath the pallet, and I discovered nearly 60 eggs, many fertilized, and in various states of baby chick growth. UnLESS a hen is keeping them really warm, they won't hatch. UnLESS they are strong enough to peck out of the shell alive, they won't survive. I've watched this. Sad, but reality. All you are doing is prolonging their suffering helping them. The unfinished incubation was meant to be.

Well that is good. How many eggs did u set
As of yesterday 35 based on the assumption that my roosters have been separated for almost 3 weeks now, so at least half should be clear. I am not very good at spotting the bull's eye on the eggs so incubation is probably the best determinant. Lets see!

As of yesterday 35 based on the assumption that my roosters have been separated for almost 3 weeks now, so at least half should be clear. I am not very good at spotting the bull's eye on the eggs so incubation is probably the best determinant. Lets see!
I candle my eggs last night, which is only day 3 and the bantam cochun eggs look fertile and the orp eggs need a day or 2 more for confirmation

If you don't want to off the little started eggs... I'll take the chicks when they hatch my wifey can yell all she wants I don't listen half the time anyways plus if it's not in our room she doesn't even notice half the time

If you don't want to off the little started eggs... I'll take the chicks when they hatch my wifey can yell all she wants I don't listen half the time anyways plus if it's not in our room she doesn't even notice half the time
How far in Indiana are you located?

I am cold, wet and my toes are frozen. 1 of my SL pullets will not come out from under the deck. I was out there in the rain trying everything to get her out, but I had to give up because my toes were just throbbing. She is sitting up on top of a bunch of Limestone bricks my husband had to have about 15 yrs ago. There were a couple of the chickens under the deck to stay out of the rain, but everyone else came in. I hope she will be ok, I am sitting here worried to death, that she will be too cold, or something might get her.

MARK THIS DAY

First Buckeye egg!!!
It only took since last MAY.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom