Illinois...

Not sure if this is the place for this, but someone suggested I crosspost this here.

This lovely Muscovy drake named Chicken came to us as an orphan found in someone's backyard about 7 months ago. Unfortunately, after much going back and forth (I actually made a thread a while ago before guiltily deleting it!) we've realized for certain that we can no longer keep him. He currently lives with us as an indoor duck, and we don't currently have the resources to build a proper coop and get him the friends he deserves, as we had originally intended. We feel he'd be a lot happier living with other ducks, and is sweet as can be on ducky playdates. Quite the anklebiter with humans, but loves to cuddle and will sit contentedly in your lap for hours!

We've grown very fond of our little dinosaur, and would just really love for him to have a home where he can romp around with some friends of his own species! He's in Aurora, IL, and is free to anyone who can provide him with a loving home!

He is so cute, I hope you find him a home and some friends. I don't have any ducks otherwise I would take the cutie.

Anyone interested in chicks from my test hatch. They will be FREE. Pay for shipping only if you are farther than 50 miles, otherwise we can meet in the middle. The hatch is due February 21st.

Here are the possibilities. There are 5 eggs growing from my chocolate cuckoo orpington pullet. However, she could have chicks from 4 different roosters. Here are the possibilities of the chicks:

The pullets could be chocolate, blue, black, mauve or chocolate cuckoo. or a black cuckoo Orpington-Legbar hybrid
The cockerels could be black cuckoo, blue cuckoo, chocolate cuckoo or mauve cuckoo. or finally maybe a black cuckoo Orpington-Legbar hybrid.

There is also an egg growing from a mottled orpington, that would be split for mottling but could be any of the colors above.

plus 3 Legbar eggs, that would be either white sport or carry the white sport gene.

Anyone interested in chicks from my test hatch. They will be FREE. Pay for shipping only if you are farther than 50 miles, otherwise we can meet in the middle. The hatch is due February 21st.

Here are the possibilities. There are 5 eggs growing from my chocolate cuckoo orpington pullet. However, she could have chicks from 4 different roosters. Here are the possibilities of the chicks:

The pullets could be chocolate, blue, black, mauve or chocolate cuckoo. or a black cuckoo Orpington-Legbar hybrid
The cockerels could be black cuckoo, blue cuckoo, chocolate cuckoo or mauve cuckoo. or finally maybe a black cuckoo Orpington-Legbar hybrid.

There is also an egg growing from a mottled orpington, that would be split for mottling but could be any of the colors above.

plus 3 Legbar eggs, that would be either white sport or carry the white sport gene.
The "Chicken Math" quotient is strong with this post..... Must not cave in....

Would very much love them would be pretty sure I'd drive over fifty miles for them

About 3 weeks ago we were talking about frostbite. Here's the progress from Jan 21(pic#1) to Feb 9 (pic#2)
I applied bag balm as a preventative only when the "feels-like" temps dipped below -5'F. My coop is not heated. The tips of my roo's comb darkened & healed on their own. Never bled or got nasty. Sadly, we're in for another cold night, so I hope he doesn't get any new frostbite. I think we're all ready to go back to those warm days we had last week!

@Faraday40

He looks great! Our oegb cockeral who looked worse had a lot less bad tissue damage than we thought. They weren't lifting about the icky purple blisters protecting healthy skin. My Mickey's comb looks great! Our other oegb cockeral, Nugget, well several of his tips(think they're called blades right?) Are still black and I think he will lose them. But there's no sign of infection and he's no worse for wear.

Now for even better news Jasmine has recovered and is with the flock again. After almost a week I think it was she is finally out of her crate with the flock and feeling better. Her crop is emptying and she's ravenous but not over-eating. We are of course continuing to monitor and check on her frequently. After nearly a week with almost no food she has weight to gain back but she never stopped drinking. She also doesn't poop for nearly a week but yesterday or maybe the night before she started to poop and poop and poop and poop and we'll you get the idea. No visible worms but I think I will start looking into wormers now. Last weekend the whole flock had their first mite dusting as did the coop. Another one in ten days yes?

What has everyone else used for mites? We have garden and poultry permethrin dust from farm and fleet.

What about for a wormer? Please fda approved we sell eggs and the whole business of lifetime withdrawal and such just blows my mind. Is there something that is fowl approved that I can use and trust that the withdrawal isn't terribly long of course whatever it is I'll follow.

I'm guessing this will probably keep her from laying her first eggs for a while as she has some much needed weight to gain. We started her on just crumbles(other than the baby food carrots we used to dose her) and gave her a little scratch tonight. The whole flock is being treated with (Poultry Performance- I think it is- and its by Duvet, we got it at farm and fleet) It says it contains living microorganisms, vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics, and minerals, it also says it stimulates digestion and appetite. I truly think this stuff works after having this in her water for 24 hours the last grape-sized mass in her crop dissolved and she started pooping. Something that two treatments with baby food carrots laced with stool softeners didn't do, although that did get it moving from peach sized to ping pong ball sized, so maybe it was just a combination of things combined with lots of crop massages. I'm just grateful Jazzy(Jasmine) is on the mend. She's such a sweet good little girl.

Someone laid me surprise today, must be a double yolker. It makes the leg bar and Maran eggs look small in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom