Illinois...

I am located an hour west of Peoria. I would definitely be interested in the Barnevelders! I saw a breeder on Craig's list near Cincinnati, but that is the closest I've come to seeing any. I told my husband it's as if someone took our nations map and cut a misshapen circle from Chicago to Rockford to Des Moines to Kansas City to St. Louis to Indianapolis to Chicago again and then threw us out! Even when we started with chickens years ago, there were chicken people an hour to three hours away. Judging from the activity on this board it doesn't seem that there are less chicken people just maybe less around here.

We have successfully hatched eggs several years and have a friend who has a big incubator for quail that we are welcome to bring eggs to.

When looking for fertile eggs for DD's past projects, I also had a difficulties finding the breeds I liked. A breeder in FL, another in NC, then TX & CA. Talk about a road trip!!!! I ended up making some nice friends in IN. It was a 3 hr drive (one way), BUT I happen to have a niece living near Indianapolis. I planned a fun route, family visit, & made a long day trip out of it.

The Hoosiers have a list of BYC members & what breeds they raise.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...z-MK57ml5LMd7-F167MOavaFl0/edit?rm=full#gid=0

What I found most fun about getting hatching eggs via BYC is being able to share pics, stories, & updates with the seller.

I am located an hour west of Peoria. I would definitely be interested in the Barnevelders! I saw a breeder on Craig's list near Cincinnati, but that is the closest I've come to seeing any. I told my husband it's as if someone took our nations map and cut a misshapen circle from Chicago to Rockford to Des Moines to Kansas City to St. Louis to Indianapolis to Chicago again and then threw us out! Even when we started with chickens years ago, there were chicken people an hour to three hours away. Judging from the activity on this board it doesn't seem that there are less chicken people just maybe less around here.

We have successfully hatched eggs several years and have a friend who has a big incubator for quail that we are welcome to bring eggs to.
ok, my source for BLR Barnies just fell through. She has a 3 months waiting list. I will check with a local person if she still has the BLR pen running and will let you know. @Faraday40 , did any of your BLR hatches from Mo reach maturity? If yes, were they good quality?

3 chicks hatched so far. All 3 from the choc cuckoo mother. Have a feeling their father is also choc cuckoo. Would be able to tell when they fluff up. I have a chip off from a Legbar egg but I don't think its a pip. Still hopeful for the remaining eggs till the end of the day tomorrow at least. Will certainly do eggtopsies after Day 23 in case they don't hatch.

Have one more egg whose hatch day is the 25th. I should not have let it grow. Now I have to wait for that one for the hatch to complete.

ok, my source for BLR Barnies just fell through. She has a 3 months waiting list. I will check with a local person if she still has the BLR pen running and will let you know. @Faraday40 , did any of your BLR hatches from Mo reach maturity? If yes, were they good quality?
We hatched them & I wanted to keep a female, but DD had her heart set on a Dom & a Sebright. Since I already have my orps, I decided to let her pick the keepers. We got rid of all the Blue French Marans & Barnies. DD probably hatched over 70 chicks for her project last spring-summer. It was crazy b/c as soon as we cleared out the brooder, more chicks hatched to refill it. At one point we had 5 little groups of chickens out back - in the main coop, a tractor, a dog crate, infant play yard, & a rabbit cage!

If I only had the room to keep 40+ chickens........

Hello I'm not 100% sure but I think I seen someone post that they had Marans on here or jersey giants? I'm interested if anyone does or knows someone I'd like a new source mine are just not growing like they should

Back
Top Bottom