Illinois...

Love those chick photos Faraday! And thanks for the article link - good info even without photos.
1f44d.png

Here are some Juvies I have available. I have all pairs and some extra cockerels. They need to goooooo!

This is a LF poorly laced, Silver laced orpington

Next 3 pics, Partridge Cochin Bantam Pair (top pic)

Partridge Bantam Cochin cockerel

Partridge bantam cochin pullet

I have 3 pairs and a couple extra boys on these mixed bantam cochins

This is LF Silver laced x CCL small crest.

Silver laced bantam cochin cockerel

This one is a Choc Orpington x Silver laced cochin bantam

Silver laced bantam cochin pullet

SL cockerel

SL bantam cochin cockerel

SL pullet

Last edited:
DD is still working with our Dominque, Bubbles - The Amazing Psychic Chicken!

She trained Bubbles to peck at the Q Hearts. If DD does her part of the magic trick correctly, the volunteer "randomly' picks the Queen on Hearts. Then DD lays out the cards & the volunteer must think very hard about their card. (without saying the answer out loud LOL) Bubbles can always read their mind & select the Q Hearts! Way to go Bubbles!!!!
thumbsup.gif

She also trained a few other chickens. (Those are more practical, though. The magic trick is more for fun & will be entered in the county fair.)

Another science project is to test to see if egg shape can determine gender. She finished 2 trials & her 3rd will hatch next week. She was only going to do 2 trials, but I used a bread machine on the same table where she placed the fertile eggs the night before putting them into the incubator. I scrambled them well & she only got about 50% hatched. Ooopps! Because DD needs to be finished by the end of the month, a couple people gave us sex-linked eggs. At least she'll know the genders right away.

We normally only set those perfect egg-shaped & clean eggs. We very often get more than 50% female, but it varies from hatch to hatch. The theory behind the experiment is that rounded eggs= female & pointy eggs = male. So far it means nothing. All eggs were collected & separated by hen. Measuring & comparing all eggs from hen 1, she divided them up into males & females. She did this for each hen that she used in the experiment. As the chicks hatched, they were banded according to mother & gender prediction. Time passed & most of her gender predictions were wrong. On the bright side, we again hatched more females than males.

DD also signed up for entomology but refused to collect & kill insects. Last year she did a report on Monarchs & tested to see how long it took to go from egg to butterfly. It took 30 days - but we had a very cold June. So last August & Sept, she did an experiment to see if the temperature would affect the time it took for the metamorphosis, She collected 40 eggs from the backyard & put 1/2 in the house (w/ A/C) & house 1/2 on the back porch during those dog days of summer. They started at the same time, but the house butterflies took 6 days longer! In the end, the size & genders were not affected. It just took them longer.

I must say I'm impressed with her creativity. So many people after talking with her say she has a great mind for a career in science. Of course that's too much like mom & dad. If we ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, she answers: An Artist during the week and a dancer on the weekends. LOL

I must say I'm impressed with her creativity. So many people after talking with her say she has a great mind for a career in science. Of course that's too much like mom & dad. If we ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, she answers: An Artist during the week and a dancer on the weekends. LOL
I see that you have "artist" in your signature line....after "Mom, wife, science teacher...", maybe she wants to be like you but just to switch it up a bit!
Great improvisation on her entomology study to avoid killing insects to meet her goal. She sounds like she has a heart of gold to go with her great mind!

Looking for a friend or two formy little surprise chick. Possibly a little duckling.

You should consider other chickens as a companion first and foremost as they will fill the needed social structure best, lone birds don't generally do well...

Mixing species like ducks and chickens for companionship reasons in a small flock can be tricky as well, ducks bond strongly to other ducks and they thrive on that duck to duck bond a bond that doesn't always cross over to other bird species like chickens... Plus male ducks can kill and injure female hens when and if they attempt to breed as male ducks unlike male chickens have 'external' male equipment that penetrates the female while chickens just do the bump and grind with no penetration...

The open water requirement for ducks to drink and their desire to splash and play in water, can also be quite a mess for a coop area...

If I was closer I would help you out with a chick or two, but I'm pretty far away on the WI/IL border...

Back
Top Bottom