Illinois...

Thank you all for the advice today. We went to run errands and stopped by Big R just to see, and well that never goes well does it. I walked out with a beautiful little Easter egger (she is chocolate brown with bits of black and gold, I know she will change but if she keeps that mix of coloring I will be happy) and a little yellow chick with feathered feet. She was in the assorted chick bin. After searching through townline hatchery website I think I did get the brahma husband (jokingly, at least I think) wanted. Either that or she is some sort of oops bird. She isnt a bantam, so brahma or mystery bird. I may one day still get a dark egg layer, but for now I hope these girls make it. The chick that needed the friends has been drinking the corid water, and is seeming okay so far except for the runny poop mentioned earlier. She is still lively and runs from me like none of my chicks have so far. And is much quieter with her friends to keep her company.

And for those adding at home.. that does make more than I am supposed to have.. SSSHHH
hide.gif
wink.png

Thank you all for the advice today. We went to run errands and stopped by Big R just to see, and well that never goes well does it. I walked out with a beautiful little Easter egger (she is chocolate brown with bits of black and gold, I know she will change but if she keeps that mix of coloring I will be happy) and a little yellow chick with feathered feet. She was in the assorted chick bin. After searching through townline hatchery website I think I did get the brahma husband (jokingly, at least I think) wanted. Either that or she is some sort of oops bird. She isnt a bantam, so brahma or mystery bird. I may one day still get a dark egg layer, but for now I hope these girls make it. The chick that needed the friends has been drinking the corid water, and is seeming okay so far except for the runny poop mentioned earlier. She is still lively and runs from me like none of my chicks have so far. And is much quieter with her friends to keep her company.

And for those adding at home.. that does make more than I am supposed to have.. SSSHHH
hide.gif
wink.png
Technically chicks don't count. You probably have some random number (assigned by a politician that knows nothing about poultry) of hens permitted per household. Technically, none will be hens or roosters until they're 1 year old...... By then you'll discover or even creatively invent more loopholes. Besides, you gotta have back-ups just in case one turns out to be male or another tragedy strikes.

Feel better now?
wink.png

Thank you all for the advice today. We went to run errands and stopped by Big R just to see, and well that never goes well does it. I walked out with a beautiful little Easter egger (she is chocolate brown with bits of black and gold, I know she will change but if she keeps that mix of coloring I will be happy) and a little yellow chick with feathered feet. She was in the assorted chick bin. After searching through townline hatchery website I think I did get the brahma husband (jokingly, at least I think) wanted. Either that or she is some sort of oops bird. She isnt a bantam, so brahma or mystery bird. I may one day still get a dark egg layer, but for now I hope these girls make it. The chick that needed the friends has been drinking the corid water, and is seeming okay so far except for the runny poop mentioned earlier.  She is still lively and runs from me like none of my chicks have so far.  And is much quieter with her friends to keep her company. 

And for those adding at home.. that does make more than I am supposed to have.. SSSHHH:oops: ;)

Did they happen to have any silkies there by chance

Technically chicks don't count. You probably have some random number (assigned by a politician that knows nothing about poultry) of hens permitted per household. Technically, none will be hens or roosters until they're 1 year old...... By then you'll discover or even creatively invent more loopholes. Besides, you gotta have back-ups just in case one turns out to be male or another tragedy strikes.

Feel better now?
wink.png
Husband is a pilot and has a few trips this week.. so that may happen sooner than later
lol.png
He wont know if I make a quick trip somewhere for the dark egg layer. He would however notice it in the brooder...

Did they happen to have any silkies there by chance
Nope. The banty bin was pretty empty. Were you the person that snagged the six I saw last week when I went in for food? They were the only ones I had seen in there and they were already labeled sold. They are on my list of dream chickens too haha. But for now I am banned from buying anything sold as straight run
hit.gif
They only had some little black clean legged ones.

Nope. The banty bin was pretty empty. Were you the person that snagged the six I saw last week when I went in for food? They were the only ones I had seen in there and they were already labeled sold. They are on my list of dream chickens too haha. But for now I am banned from buying anything sold as straight run :hit They only had some little black clean legged ones.

No that wasn't me lol
Thank you always looking

Chick time!!! & Time for that favorite game...."Guess the gender!"

For those with silkies, can you help identify genders? They are just about 5 weeks old

This chick has a wide comb. Male??

This one also has a wide comb. Male?

This one has the thinnest comb. Female?

It's also possible that they are mixed. I bought a silkie assortment of eggs. They hatched very well considering all the hardships during shipping, but 2 don't have domed heads & the 3rd had a white toe tip at hatch.

That 3rd one is DD's fav, so that's the only one I really hope is a female. If only this one is a female, then she'll at least have an easier time letting go of the other two. Of course if it's a female then this is the 1st time in her life that she picked a female as her "fav."

DD's 2nd fav (& also my fav) is Oopsie's blue orp chick. Up until today, she's been looking female. Today I noticed some tiny wattles. Uh oh! @Junibutt What do you think? I guess I'll likely know in about a week.

My male orps tend to grow their combs & wattles long before all their feathers come in. Speed of feather growth means nothing here. It's all about the head gear!

Here are some 4 week old male chicks.

Here are my "SS" pullets. Obviously the 1st one is not an SS, but at least she looks like a pullet. I'm guessing it's a Welsummer. Does anyone agree? (It could be a Brown Leghorn, but I think it would have a bigger comb.)

Spec sussex. For some reason, I didn't think there would be this much white. She's from hatchery stock.

The last 3 chicks that we kept to grow out are the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I have no idea how to tell genders of these until they get red wattles around 6-7 weeks. Here are the 3 diff chicks. It doesn't make it easier that they all look alike.

From my experience with my Icelandic flock, mottled/speckled chicks will have white on their breasts in varying degrees. She will lose that as she gets her adult plumage.

Back
Top Bottom