Illinois...

The person you are asking, has been MIA from here since August 2017. I am sorry I cant help you since I do not have ducks.
BTW,,,,,,,,,,,,, WELCOME TO OUR ILLINOIS THREAD. ,,,,,,,,,,,,:welcome
Thank you for letting me know! I was born in Decatur, Illinois but now live in Arizona. I have a duckling that is almost 3 weeks old that seemed to be having a seizure so I was searching for info on the site. Thanks again and have a great day!!!

My chicken run was flooded again yesterday. Such a nasty swampy mess. I'm scared of disease if I keep them inside it. The big catalpa tree is finally getting some leaves, so enough waiting..... The chickens started free ranging yesterday. (They were only getting some tractor time up until now.)

DS went outside after school & was so excited to see his feathered friends run up to greet him. He quickly set out a chair & within seconds was swarmed.

IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG

2 of his favorites (Chizzy & PoofPoof) hopped up for some lap time.
IMG_7141.JPG

Tillie (the Leghorn under the tree) is also one of HIS chickens, but she was too busy looking for worms.
IMG_7148.JPG

The grass has returned to prairie & everything is squishy or just plain mud. Here's Poof Poof with a photo bombing Tillie in back.
IMG_7131.JPG

No recipe link but here you go:
Egg Foo Young
- 6 large eggs, scrambled
- 1/2 onion or 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced thin (bulb and all)
- 1 sweet pepper, diced (I have "ancient sweet peppers" but a bell pepper would work too)
- 1 carrot, shaved or julianned
- Handful of mushrooms, diced (I used oyster mushrooms, but any well do. Even a can of mushrooms would suffice)
- Chopped meat of your choice, 1-1.5 cup, optional (chicken, BBQ pork, and shrimp are all very common at Chinese restaurants. I used left over pork shoulder we smoked on Monday.)

Sautee all the vegetables and meat. Set aside in a bowl to cool a bit (in refrigerator if necessary).
Beat eggs and fold into the cooled sauteed vegetables and meat. They need to be cool enough to not cook the eggs. The resukting mixture should be heavy with vegetables/meat, more so than a typical omelette.
Ladel the mixture onto a hot skillet over medium heat. The goal is to make pancake-sized (not jumbo pancake) omelettes.

Egg Foo Young Gravy
2 cups of stock (homemade chicken or turkey stock are my go-to)
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup soy sauce (it's the only salt you need to add to the entire meal so just use the real stuff)

Combine ingredients and slowly bring to a boil over a medium heat. Once boiling torn off heat and remove from burner to let cool. It should thicken a bit. It will still be rather thin for "gravy". It's not country gravy though. It should just be tick enough to stick to the egg foo young.

To serve, the are two methods.
First method:
Pour the gravy right over the egg foo young in a dish or pan and set out on the table. Use a spatula to plate.
Second method:
Plate the egg foo young dry and pour/ladle gravy on top.

:goodpost:
I made Egg Foo Young tonight and it was a hit. I was nervous b/c when I mentioned trying it, DH told me his parents would get it as carry out and he hated it as a kid. Then tonight DS saw me cooking and asked if we were having the Chinese pancakes he didn't like. :(

I didn't have any leftover meat on hand, so I went with carrots, onion, green onion, sweet pepper, garlic and cabbage. I have a variety of soy sauces, sesame oil, oyster sauce, etc, so I improvised here & there. I like these kind of meals that help clean out the fridge. Thankfully, the family liked it and would eat it again. Looks like I'll have more opportunities to try different combos.

:goodpost:
I made Egg Foo Young tonight and it was a hit. I was nervous b/c when I mentioned trying it, DH told me his parents would get it as carry out and he hated it as a kid. Then tonight DS saw me cooking and asked if we were having the Chinese pancakes he didn't like. :(

I didn't have any leftover meat on hand, so I went with carrots, onion, green onion, sweet pepper, garlic and cabbage. I have a variety of soy sauces, sesame oil, oyster sauce, etc, so I improvised here & there. I like these kind of meals that help clean out the fridge. Thankfully, the family liked it and would eat it again. Looks like I'll have more opportunities to try different combos.
Glad to hear it was a hit! My wife never had Egg Foo Young before. She liked it though. My little guy was enjoying it too. He loves anything with "sauths" (his way of saying sauce). Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, salsa, gravy... it's practically all the same to him. Put sauce on something and he'll eat it.

Glad to hear it was a hit! My wife never had Egg Foo Young before. She liked it though. My little guy was enjoying it too. He loves anything with "sauths" (his way of saying sauce). Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, salsa, gravy... it's practically all the same to him. Put sauce on something and he'll eat it.
:lau
Both of my kids were the same. DD called it "Dips" Any kind of sauce on the side made the food worth eating. DS, however, was more of a BBQ sauce boy. Meat, veggies, eggs, & dumplings all needed BBQ. He has since learned about other toppings.

5 CX mix , 2 boys, 2 girls and one I am not sure... judging by the combs. :confused:
I have been wrong before. 2 eggs that looked good at lockdown to go.

Soon to go under an experienced broody who had eggs develop but didn't hatch. :sick When she went off the nest. Both sets of eggs from the same pen. Hers were from that day, incubator was from a couple of days before.... And these had no power for a few hrs at being of lockdown.

KIMG0124_01.JPG

Back
Top Bottom