Illinois...

Sometime between 7-8am it was snowing very hard. I shoveled about 2" of very heavy wet snow before doing the chickens. I decided to just give them some food & clean/let them out after breakfast. By 8:30 I shoveled at least another inch. If it were colder and not the thick slushy stuff, I'm sure it would have been much deeper. I can see the grass now (and large puddles of water) but the snow hasn't all melted! Of course, we're expected to get snow again tonight & tomorrow.

@homeschoolin momma
Japser looks like he's adjusting just fine!

Last edited:
The netting over my run collapsed. :barnie Leaves collected on it, creating a surface for snow to build up. It looks like an eyelet screw pull out of a board actually and two of the steel cables that support the netting were connected to that eyelet. I think I need to trim some tree branches and get some eyelet bolts instead of screws. A heavier net would not be a bad idea either, but I'm being cheap these days.

Now I just need to find the time to fix it...

The netting over my run collapsed. :barnie Leaves collected on it, creating a surface for snow to build up. It looks like an eyelet screw pull out of a board actually and two of the steel cables that support the netting were connected to that eyelet. I think I need to trim some tree branches and get some eyelet bolts instead of screws. A heavier net would not be a bad idea either, but I'm being cheap these days.

:th

Sorry that happened,
Better now than in the middle of winter though

I had slushy white fungus that fell from the sky, before it turned to rain. Most of it is gone but soon to return.

I didn't know about the breast feathers sexing turkeys until this year too. I didn't have any calico jakes last year, and thought the brown jakes were just a different variety. I had read it about the browns before and just this year on the whiter ones. And by golly it's true... I have a good selection this year.... Only 2 calico I am not sure on, but they are smaller and have reddish brown highlights, I guess it could be called , instead of snow white. I don't want to eat those along with a couple of friendly ones I am sure are jennies

I knew royal palms were sexable by feather edging color but I didn't know the browns were. Also are we sure the browns are nargansett? My adult jennie doesn't seem quite right compared to the photos on Porter's.

Been a nasty few days here weather-wise. Hoping it means DH gets tomorrow off as well. Working on the coop and winterizing right now.

I knew royal palms were sexable by feather edging color but I didn't know the browns were. Also are we sure the browns are nargansett? My adult jennie doesn't seem quite right compared to the photos on Porter's.

Been a nasty few days here weather-wise. Hoping it means DH gets tomorrow off as well. Working on the coop and winterizing right now.
Nasty days here too
The browns are either red bronze or something called" semi colored semi nargansett" which porter doesn't have pictures of

Sorry that happened,
Better now than in the middle of winter though
That's true. However, I don't have time to fix it right now like I probably would in the middle of winter. It's still hanging about 3ft off the ground right now, so it's keeping the birds in and allows room for them to still hang out underneath it for the time being. I'm hoping to have time tomorrow afternoon or Monday to get out there to trim the tree branches hanging over the run and get the netting back up with some new hardware. Let's see if hoping leads to doing...

I finally got my coop ready for winter & the hose lines blown out- just in time!!!! It's COLD out there today! I also took some pics.
IMG_0824.JPG

Here's Glow, my golden girl:
img_0826-2-jpg.1954004
img_0838-2-jpg.1954005
img_0840-2-jpg.1954006

If you remember her chick pics, she was one ugly, awkward bird. Her lacing is not crisp and some areas are more spangled than laced. However, I actually wanted some gold laced orps and she's a sweety. (Don't let the grumpy orp face fool you! She's a cuddler.)

I decided to get rid of Mr Nice Guy. The other lav is looking good & I'll keep "Wonky" as a back up for a little while longer. If anyone wants this gentle giant who's kid-safe, friendly, and handsome, let me know soon.
IMG_0777 (2).JPG

My Choc orp is heavily molting. She looks so pathetic & skinny.
IMG_0787 (2).JPG

Cupcake looked like that a month ago but is now pretty again.
IMG_0801 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom