Illinois...

I found a hen last night with her head all bloody. eyes were frozen shut and she was 50' from the coop. I missed her the first round of looking for the missing white hen. She was standing in snow by a snow drift.
One eye isn't opening and she is not eating. Been putting vetericyn on her. Not sure if she is going to make it or not. I'll give her a couple days in the house and see if she starts eating. She is a good broody and I would hate to send her to freezer camp, but I guess it's better than freezing to death if I hadn't found her.

Pecking order is in all flocks, and herds. Reality of life. If you get some new chicken additions,,, the newcomers become the BOTTOM of order. It seemed to me that the old lowest or two become most aggressive to the newcomers. They just don't want to be considered the bottom. :idunno
As long as there are no serious injuries,,,,, ALL IS AS USUAL. :thumbsup
This is one of the roots of chicken math- you need more chicks to pull the sweet hen on the bottom to a higher rank! And if you get LOTS of new ones the dredded bottom rung will be spread out.

I found a hen last night with her head all bloody. eyes were frozen shut and she was 50' from the coop. I missed her the first round of looking for the missing white hen. She was standing in snow by a snow drift.
One eye isn't opening and she is not eating. Been putting vetericyn on her. Not sure if she is going to make it or not. I'll give her a couple days in the house and see if she starts eating. She is a good broody and I would hate to send her to freezer camp, but I guess it's better than freezing to death if I hadn't found her.
:( Do you know what got her?

:( Do you know what got her?
I think one of the jakes
The rest didn't act like it was a predator and one of the jakes had blood on him. But I seen him first and thought he had been beat up because he is the lowest turkey.
She had raised turkeys last year and doesn't take any guff from them. ... But I think she lost this time
Good thing it's going to be nice this weekend to process him

This is one of the roots of chicken math- you need more chicks to pull the sweet hen on the bottom to a higher rank! And if you get LOTS of new ones the dredded bottom rung will be spread out.
That math sounds dangerous. Was going to incubate some chicks this spring anyway. Want to see what gold comet x black australorp looks like. Since finding this local group we can do lots of cross experiments lol. Instead of lol maybe MHWAHAHAAHHHAAA is more appropriate.

So I haven't gardened in several years. Now my gardening intentions are different anyway. I want to start a few small pallet garden beds for both chickens to graze and myself to eat. What are some ideas of what to grow?
I guarantee they wont look as good when I do it .
Screenshot_20200221-031538_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-031352_Google.jpg

So I haven't gardened in several years. Now my gardening intentions are different anyway. I want to start a few small pallet garden beds for both chickens to graze and myself to eat. What are some ideas of what to grow?
I guarantee they wont look as good when I do it .
View attachment 2032528View attachment 2032529
Can I suggest you hang out on this thread,,, and read up what others have done.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-in-the-garden-today.670277/page-1924

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom