Illinois...

I'm a wood chips and leaves user, however I do only have chickens. I'm not sure about ducks. I used to care for a flock of runners for my friend, they were pretty destructive birds! My friend would rotate their enclosure once a week or two to a different part of the yard.

Yeah I may have to construct a tractor to confine them to specific areas.

Look who was in our screened room again!

IMG_2322.JPG

When I opened the door it flew to the gate (in pic) It waited until I actually stepped out, then flew away into a tree.

Poor bantams were all stuffed into the nest boxes this morning.
FB_IMG_1582668875420.jpg

The ducks created a nest. It's the Rouens who are laying here. DW took the eggs from the nest yesterday, after which she told me she found the nest. Today I left the eggs there just to see if these ducks decide to fully embrace their maternal instincts. They ate not sitting on there eggs, but perhaps they wish to fill the nest with enough eggs before sitting???

P.S. Ignore the tiki can and peice of steel cable. They decided to nest right near a pile of tiki torches by the shed and its a bit of a construction zone since I am redesigning the garden and it's just a few feet away from the nest.
20200228_113636.jpg

The ducks created a nest. It's the Rouens who are laying here. DW took the eggs from the nest yesterday, after which she told me she found the nest. Today I left the eggs there just to see if these ducks decide to fully embrace their maternal instincts. They ate not sitting on there eggs, but perhaps they wish to fill the nest with enough eggs before sitting???

P.S. Ignore the tiki can and peice of steel cable. They decided to nest right near a pile of tiki torches by the shed and its a bit of a construction zone since I am redesigning the garden and it's just a few feet away from the nest.
View attachment 2037800
Turkeys like about a dozen eggs before they go broody... I would think ducks maybe similar.

Another nice day tomorrow! Yes! This winter has been long. Not severe cold but it turned freezing in October and stayed there for 4 months. As someone who works outside nights I'm ready for warm weather.
I’m in central Illinois and even though we did not get near as much snow as last winter I think the back and forth warm and cold weather kind of contributes to how lengthy this winter has felt.

Back
Top Bottom