Illinois...

Chickens outside an office window would not work for me. I'd watch them and not do any work like every time I let them free range.
Out my window right now
IMG_20200520_134410.jpg

SnootyHen

If you could post links to what you purchased, maybe we can offer you advice on a solution. :idunno
I know Menards does offer for sale some plastic storage sheds at reasonable price. If you are not able to do any conversions of those into coop. (no tools, time to do it, or whatever other reason) These would need some interior modifications, like roosts and pop door, and ventilation. Hoping this put some light on possible options.....:thumbsup

I ordered the Large Snap Lock with the 4x8 run here:
https://chickencondos.com/coop-run-combos/snap-lock-packages/basi-snap-lock.html

The run and the little platform that the coop will sit on are what already shipped. It's just the coop itself that is delayed now.

I ordered it about 6 weeks ago and at this point, I am a little worried it might not be big enough but I also have local restrictions to consider. We're supposed to limit the coop to 24 sqft and the run to 32 sqft. I can probably get away with a little bigger with no one knowing or caring but my fear with converting a shed is that it would be more likely to bring nosey neighbors. 😬

I ordered the Large Snap Lock with the 4x8 run here:
https://chickencondos.com/coop-run-combos/snap-lock-packages/basi-snap-lock.html

The run and the little platform that the coop will sit on are what already shipped. It's just the coop itself that is delayed now.

I ordered it about 6 weeks ago and at this point, I am a little worried it might not be big enough but I also have local restrictions to consider. We're supposed to limit the coop to 24 sqft and the run to 32 sqft. I can probably get away with a little bigger with no one knowing or caring but my fear with converting a shed is that it would be more likely to bring nosey neighbors. 😬
I really liked that coop and considered it when we were shopping around. I found something else that fit our budget.

As far as nosey neighbors..... gift them some fresh eggs. It works wonders! My neighbors loved watching our little ones play with the chickens, so when I asked if they minded us keeping some, they jumped on board. They even donated materials and some helped with the building of the coop/ run. The neighbors also enjoy throwing veggie scraps over the fence to feed them.

We dearly miss our former neighbors who began the chicken project with us. 3 new neighbors (soon to be 4) have moved in over the past 2 years. As soon as they settle, I welcome them and bring some eggs. I ask that if they ever have a problem, to simply tell me. So far, I have gotten new friends and new egg customers.

I really liked that coop and considered it when we were shopping around. I found something else that fit our budget.

As far as nosey neighbors..... gift them some fresh eggs. It works wonders! My neighbors loved watching our little ones play with the chickens, so when I asked if they minded us keeping some, they jumped on board. They even donated materials and some helped with the building of the coop/ run. The neighbors also enjoy throwing veggie scraps over the fence to feed them.

We dearly miss our former neighbors who began the chicken project with us. 3 new neighbors (soon to be 4) have moved in over the past 2 years. As soon as they settle, I welcome them and bring some eggs. I ask that if they ever have a problem, to simply tell me. So far, I have gotten new friends and new egg customers.

We have an odd assortment of neighbors. Lived here almost 16 years now and there's one house that we have never met them because they keep to themselves! There are 5 neighbors that share part of our back lot line. The ones to the back on one side are the ones I am guessing could be trouble. I'm planning to put up some trees on the lot line this summer to avoid prying eyes but they are nosey, loud and like to call the police on people. I'd really rather not even talk to them because I can see them being nice to my face, saying thanks for the eggs and then picking up the phone the moment I walk away to call and complain. But I am hoping if I can keep things clean and decent, there shouldn't be a reason for them to poke around.

I liked the Snap Lock because I was hoping it would be weather and predator proof especially in the winter. Do you think it's unreasonable to put 7 hens in the large one?

I liked the Snap Lock because I was hoping it would be weather and predator proof especially in the winter. Do you think it's unreasonable to put 7 hens in the large one?
I haven't seen it in person, but I read that it seems "bigger on the inside". LOL I liked the idea of hosing it down for easy cleaning. I think the number of hens depends on what kind of hens. It claims that a dozen chickens can fit in there, but often those numbers are inflated...... unless you have bantams.

I'm pretty sure a dozen of MY chickens would not fit in there. :lau
IMG_7185 copy.jpg
IMG_3917 copy.jpg

I haven't seen it in person, but I read that it seems "bigger on the inside". LOL I liked the idea of hosing it down for easy cleaning. I think the number of hens depends on what kind of hens. It claims that a dozen chickens can fit in there, but often those numbers are inflated...... unless you have bantams.

I'm pretty sure a dozen of MY chickens would not fit in there. :lau
View attachment 2150858View attachment 2150870

Definitely not!! Those are some very happy healthy chickens!!!

I thought I did my research when I bought it but then learned later on how they exaggerate their capacity. I just hope it works. It seems like a great option and got good reviews. But now that I am thinking about converting a shed, it seems like maybe that is a better plan afterall. I think I'll cal the company one more time and ask if they can offer me any options other than just wait and if that's all they have, I'll politely ask them to cancel the coop portion of my order and refund whatever the difference was for the run. Although...maybe I should wait until I have the replacement parts!

ok chook friends.
I have a CCL that isn't feeling well. It looks like she slept and pooped in the nest box. Stinky poop too. Her face and actions were indicating she wasn't feeling well as this girl moves away from people and quick! I put her on the roost, and she had a watery poop that looked like water. She walked outside and then went to the fence and half closed her eyes. Her crop still had food in it as well. So I'm thinking she might have sour crop. I brought her in the garage, gave her some sheep yogurt that grandma had brought over last weekend. She finally ate it all and drank and spilled her water. Then this afternoon she had a poop that looked (and smelled) like a broody poop! It was huge!

So my question is this, should I give her some more yogurt or should I make a soft mash for her to eat and see if it goes down better? She's my only blue egg layer and I'd hate to lose her.

I think sour crop has a smell. There are different treatments based on how the crop feels. Slow crop, sour crop, crop impaction, or it could be the other end like some sort of blockage or worms.

Watery poop could mean she drank a lot- like in summer - or ate something like cucumbers or watermelon. I've had my scare with hens overeating those foods! At this point, I'd try to examine and find as many symptoms as possible. Cage her overnight & see if the crop goes back down by morning. Separating her will also make it easy to monitor droppings.

Back
Top Bottom