Illinois...

Do your chickens come running to you for treats? If so, it's easy to train them to go back into their coop. You could try free ranging when you, kids, dogs, etc. are outside and then lock them up when you go back inside.

The definitely do. The minute I step outside they flock to the closest area of their run to get close to me and jump on me when I get in the run. What about fences? I have a 6' fence with spikey tops (nothing they can sit on) but all of the neighbors except one have dogs.

The definitely do. The minute I step outside they flock to the closest area of their run to get close to me and jump on me when I get in the run. What about fences? I have a 6' fence with spikey tops (nothing they can sit on) but all of the neighbors except one have dogs.
Our current neighbors all have dogs. The chickens quickly learned not to hop the fence and even avoid getting too close to it. Of course I actually like having the dogs around the perimeter of my yard. They help keep some day-time predators away.

There are hazards when free ranging most of the day. Even with roosters, turkeys, and dogs as protection, a determined predator can find a way. All you can do is try to deter them as best you can or keep them locked up.

Lots of bushes and brush cover can help them hide. Mine are rarely out in the open.

Sad news to report tonight. After 3 years of owning possibly one of the best and most gentlemanly roosters on earth, our beloved Jake turned up missing tonight. In 3 years, he has never missed bedtime or abandoned his girls. I can hope he's hunkered down somewhere, perhaps with the black easter egger that came up missing 2 nights ago. But in all honesty, i dont think he will. I still have his two sons which are quite handsome, but no one can replace my Jakey. First my alpha orp and now my alpha spitz. This hasnt been the greatest year.

Sad news to report tonight. After 3 years of owning possibly one of the best and most gentlemanly roosters on earth, our beloved Jake turned up missing tonight. In 3 years, he has never missed bedtime or abandoned his girls. I can hope he's hunkered down somewhere, perhaps with the black easter egger that came up missing 2 nights ago. But in all honesty, i dont think he will. I still have his two sons which are quite handsome, but no one can replace my Jakey. First my alpha orp and now my alpha spitz. This hasnt been the greatest year.
So sorry for your loss. :hugs

At roost time the turkeys alerted and flew out of the trees, chicks and poults running for cover. I didn't see anything for the trees. I assume a hawk or owl

:hugs
Both my kids were so sad to hear of the loss of Jake. (aka: Poof Poof's boyfriend) He was everything a rooster should be. I'm glad you have his sons, but no, they're not the same.

I posted this in the meat birds forum, but thought I'd double up here with maybe some more local advice/sources...

I have a batch of 125 cornish cross I'm raising currently. On 10/23 I am taking them to the processor. What does everyone use for Poultry crates? I have a a pallet that I built a tiered platform on that can hold about 20 birds per level. I was thinking about building a couple more to put on my trailer to haul birds in. I like the looks of the plastic crates and I think loading them would be easier than my current setup, but man are they expensive. Most seem to hold about 8 birds. I would need 16 of them for this batch. The cheapest I've found them online is strombergs for $45/crate. That seems like an awful lot of money for some transport crates. Do you guys know of any outlets that may be cheaper? or should I just build more of my pallet "crates". Its a pallet on the bottom, with 3 levels to hold chickens. Each level is 48"x40"x12". The outside is wrapped in chicken wire on 3 sides and the remaining side has hinged doors with latches so that all three levels can be opened independently. I dont have a picture of it to share, but I hope I explained it well enough that you can imagine it.

I posted this in the meat birds forum, but thought I'd double up here with maybe some more local advice/sources...

I have a batch of 125 cornish cross I'm raising currently. On 10/23 I am taking them to the processor. What does everyone use for Poultry crates? I have a a pallet that I built a tiered platform on that can hold about 20 birds per level. I was thinking about building a couple more to put on my trailer to haul birds in. I like the looks of the plastic crates and I think loading them would be easier than my current setup, but man are they expensive. Most seem to hold about 8 birds. I would need 16 of them for this batch. The cheapest I've found them online is strombergs for $45/crate. That seems like an awful lot of money for some transport crates. Do you guys know of any outlets that may be cheaper? or should I just build more of my pallet "crates". Its a pallet on the bottom, with 3 levels to hold chickens. Each level is 48"x40"x12". The outside is wrapped in chicken wire on 3 sides and the remaining side has hinged doors with latches so that all three levels can be opened independently. I dont have a picture of it to share, but I hope I explained it well enough that you can imagine it.
I hope at some point you can share a picture of what you built. It really sounds innovative.
My gut feeling is you should be making these and selling them! Please note I say this with no experience in meat chickens (other than the two I just rescued from a suburban mom). Is there a downside to packing 20 together? If so maybe you can create a divider at each level.

Back
Top Bottom