Illinois...

I don't know if anyone outside in winter can be happy but perhaps we can make them less miserable.....
If I can add 1 suggestion it would be to have parts of the run covered so they can wonder around a bit. Maybe yours will be ok but my birds hated walking in snow. Here is a funny photo of them afraid to come out of the roost on the first snow.
View attachment 2381474
Could I see more pictures of your set up here? I'm currently considering adding our old play house like this to my chickens current coop and would love to see some inspiration!

I think I have a mystery new layer. I found 2 eggs this morning when I went to clean. One looked a little darker than my Mystic Marans usually lays but I figured it was the GLW and Marans. Then later I found the Wellsummer's egg. Then not long ago, I saw the Marans int he box and she laid an egg. The one from this morning could not have been my Leghorn or Barnevelder so it has to be the Red laced black Wyandotte or the Russian Orloff. And I have no idea which! Neither has shown any interest in laying at all but both are plenty old enough to lay.

Here are some of Xansie's chicks. (hatched in September)

These orp girls are getting big, fast. Already much bigger than mama.
IMG_5919 (2).jpg
IMG_5923 (2).jpg
IMG_5931 (2).jpg

They have some serama "sisters"
IMG_5966 (2).jpg IMG_5958 (2).jpg IMG_5941 (2).jpg IMG_5945 (2).jpg IMG_5948 (2).jpg

Could I see more pictures of your set up here? I'm currently considering adding our old play house like this to my chickens current coop and would love to see some inspiration!
Nothing fancy with this. The run is a carport frame, half covered with paneling and half chain link. The play house just fits inside the run though had to disassemble to get it in place.
We have a second play house from a play set blown down by the recent tornado/storm. I wanted to fence it in and add to the run but decided it would be too difficult to secure and have access to clean.

Happy Halloween!

Teddy was as a little bat and DS was Sans (character from video game).

IMG_5999 (2).JPG

Our town still had Trick-or-Treating. Mostly people putting candy on tables along the sidewalk (and waving from a distance or through window). Such an odd year with Covid.

Last edited:
Happy Halloween!

Teddy was as a little bat and DS was Sans (character from video game).

IMG_5999 (2).JPG

Our town still had Trick-or-Treating. Mostly people putting candy on tables along the sidewalk (and waving from a distance or through window). Such an odd year with Covid.
Same type of trick or treating here. My son is well-loved by many of the neighbors though, so he was hooked up pretty well with goodies. He ended up filling his candy bag several times.

Back
Top Bottom