Illinois...

Frost warning! There's a few nights in the 30s ahead of us. Tonight is the coldest at 33 or 34 degrees (depending on which weather forecast you check). DW and I brought all the ducklings into the sunroom, even the older ones who were in the coop in a dog crate. We pulled planters from out front into the garage and covered all the tender plants in the garden with straw or landscape fabric to try protecting them from potential frost damage.

Stay warm!

I covered the 5 tomatoes I had planted in the garden , At least I did not plant all 24 . I still say May 15 is safe . Too often the long range forecast is wrong .
So I'm just really trying my first "real" garden as an adult... and I read that I was just supposed to start my tomatoes in the beginning of April. And not transplant them until the end of May... I feel like my tomato and pepper plants are way behind... when do you start yours? and you plant them outside?

So I'm just really trying my first "real" garden as an adult... and I read that I was just supposed to start my tomatoes in the beginning of April. And not transplant them until the end of May... I feel like my tomato and pepper plants are way behind... when do you start yours? and you plant them outside?
I do not get in a hurry . Start about 8 weeks before you plan to plant out . For me that is mid March . If you want bigger plants add about 2 more weeks . You will have to pot up to bigger pot as they grow . My brother just buys the plants as soon as they are for sale . Late March to early April here . He then keeps potting up . His plants are huge by the time he plants in the garden . That works fine for a few plants .

I start end of March, plant around memorial day. Sometimes I plant a few after mother's day. If it gets cold they don't do as well as the volunteers

I got to play turkey broker today. A friend had a people-aggressive Tom that needed to go, but she didn't want her female to be lonely. @Molpet had an extra female and was willing to accept a freezer-ready Tom, soooo I got to see 2 friends today. Theresa was very grateful for the hen and looking forward to using her yard without the threat of being attacked.

I often feel like I'm pusher/dealer - chickens, not drugs. Well, my territory is expanding. I've moved beyond my fat, fluffy, cuddly Orpingtons and my "useless chickens" (aka Seramas). Now, I'm moving into turkey territory, occasional quail, and those dreaded, darling ducklings. I do not even breed them. I'm their distributer / middleman. I even offered free samples of leghorn chicks today.
:lau

But seriously, Thank you @Molpet for helping her and driving up here. It was nice seeing you again.

I started early this year in mid February. Tomatoes needed to be up potted twice. They went from starters to 4" pots and then 6". I got the 4" and 6" pots cheap in bulk on Amazon. Peppers got up potted once to 4" pots. Tomatoes and peppers need bright light and room for their roots. Tomatoes need a lot of water. Peppers need to be waterer sparingly, I found that letting the dirt get dry before watering again worked well. If you are growing other things this year, I'm happy to add some advice for other crops. :)

I got to play turkey broker today. A friend had a people-aggressive Tom that needed to go, but she didn't want her female to be lonely. @Molpet had an extra female and was willing to accept a freezer-ready Tom, soooo I got to see 2 friends today. Theresa was very grateful for the hen and looking forward to using her yard without the threat of being attacked.

I often feel like I'm pusher/dealer - chickens, not drugs. Well, my territory is expanding. I've moved beyond my fat, fluffy, cuddly Orpingtons and my "useless chickens" (aka Seramas). Now, I'm moving into turkey territory, occasional quail, and those dreaded, darling ducklings. I do not even breed them. I'm their distributer / middleman. I even offered free samples of leghorn chicks today.
:lau

But seriously, Thank you @Molpet for helping her and driving up here. It was nice seeing you again.
Glad I could help her, we both won. It was nice to see you again and to see the TARDIS Yard. :ya

Back
Top Bottom