Illinois...

Probably why my neighbor wanted me to get into it. (& why all the other kids were there - besides animal care) I only went a few times per year and didn’t care about the actual show. I just had fun camping and loved the big wolfhounds. Could never own a horse, so walking them was the next best thing.
Yeah I didn't care about showing either, but I did what I was told :lol:

Back to chickens:

I'm leaning toward 2 female silkies, but still not truly sure about the bigger one. (Smaller one was a "failure to thrive" chick from same hatch who has not caught up)
IMG_7981 (2).jpg

close ups:
Comb is narrow. Not 100% flat but looks more female than male to me.
IMG_7996 (2).jpg

Crest is neat and more rounded .....
IMG_7994 (2).jpg

....But does have slightly longer feathers in back. I don't think they're streamers, but never had a male.
IMG_7991 (2).jpg

I know this is a total long shot, but would anyone be willing to transport some chickens from a lady in Du Quoin to around the Mattoon area? I found someone who has d’uccles I really want but I recently traveled for a while and I really have some stuff I need to get done around the house and catch up on. It’s a 2 hr 20 min drive there from my house. I’d even be happy meeting half way if someone lives near Du Quoin and is coming my way a bit. I’ll pay anyone who is interested in helping me get these guys. 😂 PM me if you are.

And, as a backup option, if anyone close to me has silkies or d’uccles looking for new homes send me a PM also. Interested in purebred only, any colors, chicks or hatching eggs.

GAH! My Olive Egger is a broody little monster! She started laying in mid-March and almost immediately went broody. Broke her, she was back, broke her, she was back. She spends more time in broody jail than free and it's getting to feel cruel. I don't have a rooster and my coop is at max occupancy so letting her have some babies is not an option. I'm starting to wonder if giving her to someone who can let her be a mama is the better option but she's the sweetest thing (when she's not a broody demon) and I hate to part with any of my ladies. Is this how she's going to spend the rest of her life? In broody jail? Or will she eventually give up?

Back
Top Bottom