Illinois...

I haven't posted in eons. Been super busy with work, kids, and farm life. I barely get anymore eggs as it's hot and hens are grumpy. One is molting and 5 are broody, with possibly my little Phoenix thinking about it. (This would be a HUGE blessing in order to heal her vent prolapse.

Got a big black roo with a bum right foot, but can't really find anything wrong with it. One of my turkey poultry got eaten because they wouldn't listen and stay out of the trees, so the other is now trying to pretend to be a chicken and staying close by them. No more trees for it. (Still don't know if it a girl or boy)

Eaten by you :drool . or predator:hit?? If predator,,,,, what got it in the tree??
Not me. Only 12 weeks old at the time. Most likely the coon that visits every night. Found what was left in the corner of the pasture. Head and insides gone. Feel bad for the one left behind though. That why everyone is always locked up at night. Tree roosters and all. I just got too lazy.

One of my turkey poultry got eaten because they wouldn't listen and stay out of the trees, so the other is now trying to pretend to be a chicken and staying close by them. No more trees for it. (Still don't know if it a girl or boy)
I still have the 3 turkeys and they enjoy hanging out in the trees too. They are very human-friendly and run up as soon as they see me. The other day I was walking in the backyard and didn't realize they were in the tree. They wanted to greet me and swooped down - scaring me silly! I wasn't expecting giant birds to fly at me. I clipped their wings yesterday.

Thankfully they see themselves as chickens. They still have occasional dumb turkey moments. I heard one calling for help but couldn't see it. He got himself stuck in between a piece of board leaning against the garage wall. He walked in forward..... but wouldn't back up to step out. Another time one stepped on the lid of the composter - which flipped and swallowed him like a trap door. So I had to rescue him.. This happened a few times, so I'm not sure if its the same bird or if each must learn for himself.

Here's a sneak peak at one of DS's 4-H projects. We started training Styx, Popcorn, and Squeaky in the winter (Covid quarantine boredom....) Then sort of forgot about it. DS decided to take it over and turned the training into a fun project. Although Popcorn was the fastest learner, Styx was the better candidate because she pecked the keys firm enough to work.

@WhyDoILikeChickens Do you still have tick problems by you? My sister's feared one of her dogs had a tick. Turned out it didn't have any ticks, but made me wonder if they are persistent in that area still.
I didn't have ticks, it turns out I had mites. But no I have had any of those for weeks now. Turns out ivermectin works so good you dont even have to apply it, just buy it and mites disappear. Maybe they just had a preset dollar amount they wanted me to spend and I got closest without going over?

Hopefully this storm business avoids us all. That 2014 dericho took out my power for 23 hrs which meant no sump pump and my basement flooded something nasty. I don't need to relive that. Plus I don't know that my FlexTape in the coop will hold up under that much rain and my tomatoes are already like 9 feet tall.

Back
Top Bottom