Illinois...

I just went to check on them. Lizzy seems unphased by her injuries. She's the one I didn't notice because her darker feathers hid the blood initially. Eowyn was still sitting there shivering but her sisters were sitting with her. I picked her up to try and get her to drink some water and she definitely has pep in her still. She's a fighter! When I picked her up, the other 2 went over by mom and once I put Eowyn down, she went by them. Millie seemed to begrudgingly let her underneath. I'm going to give it a little time and see if Millie takes care of her. The wounds are cleaned and sprayed with Blu-kote so they won't be as peck-worthy. I am so over today!
You're doing the best you can with this situation.
If the separation gets worse, it'll probably integrate with the flock when it gets older just fine.

All 3 babies are still alive and moving around. Lizzy seems to not even know she was hurt. Eowyn is slow and less active, but she's pattering along with mom as best as she can. I'm still not sure she's going to make it but she is so far. I tried putting my dog crate in the coop for them but it's too big to fit. It fits but you can't set it up because it needs more space to unfold and if I snap it together outside the coop, it doesn't fit through the door. So for tonight anyway, I am letting Millie and the babies sleep in a nesting box. It's the safest place for them and she'll keep them under her so Eowyn can recover more.

I don't know for sure that it was Natasha but she's the one who picks on babies so I am assuming it was her. She was a bully with the last round of babies too. Which is crazy because she's such a sweet chicken to everyone else!

All 3 babies are still alive and moving around. Lizzy seems to not even know she was hurt. Eowyn is slow and less active, but she's pattering along with mom as best as she can. I'm still not sure she's going to make it but she is so far. I tried putting my dog crate in the coop for them but it's too big to fit. It fits but you can't set it up because it needs more space to unfold and if I snap it together outside the coop, it doesn't fit through the door. So for tonight anyway, I am letting Millie and the babies sleep in a nesting box. It's the safest place for them and she'll keep them under her so Eowyn can recover more.

I don't know for sure that it was Natasha but she's the one who picks on babies so I am assuming it was her. She was a bully with the last round of babies too. Which is crazy because she's such a sweet chicken to everyone else!
Sounds like she's starting the pecking order early.

Little Eowyn didn't make it. 😢 She was trying her best to keep up with mom and sisters but just couldn't do it and her lagging behind was attracting a lot of bully attention. You could see she was laboring a lot trying to keep going and she definitely wasn't eating/drinking as much as the other 2. The other 2 are just so active and curious and she was just barely holding on. I wonder if maybe she wasn't the healthiest from the start because she wasn't growing and feathering as much. She was less active and not very good at staying with the group from the start which is how all this started. I'm sure if she was brooder raised, she'd have been okay but coop life is not as easy as brooder life.

Last night I was going to bring her inside under a lamp to warm her up and see if she'd eat and drink for me without all the action of the coop but it was close to roosting time and all the big girls were already roosting when Millie tucked the babies under her for bed. Millie did not want me to take her and was causing such a fuss that I thought maybe leaving her under mom was better. I figured I'd slip her out from under Millie early this morning while they are all asleep. I went out to get her and she was already gone. Poor little love. But Millie and the others seem unphased and are having a much easier time not having to backtrack for her. Such a shame because she was a sweet little cutie pie but just not long for the world.

I figured I'd slip her out from under Millie early this morning while they are all asleep. I went out to get her and she was already gone
Sorry for your loss.
Not all survive, even in a brooder with siblings.
Probably best she went in her mom's embrace.

Fawn along my driveway yesterday. Little ears are curled on the tips.
I seen him when I was mowing. I decided to mow somewhere else and leave him alone. He's not there this morning so I assume she moved him....or a coyote got supper.

KIMG0444_01.JPG

Back
Top Bottom