Illinois...

My PO is New Lenox. That's the only USPS place in town. The USPS said the seeds were supposed to be delivered on the 31st by 9 PM. But then they sent them off instead. No wonder they are losing money . Thank God this isn't chicks.
View attachment 3738879
This reminds me of DS's 4-H project we did a couple years ago. He took the 2 doz eggs you gave us and packed up half for shipping. (You know wrapping each egg in bubble wrap, in center of box with foam peanuts, inside another bigger USPS priority box with more padding to protect the center box.) We dropped it off at the post office 0.5 miles east of our house. Technically a different town than our mailing address.

Those eggs were sent to Chicago, then to the Fox Valley distribution center in Aurora, then to finally our P.O. 1.5 miles from here. We're at the end of our carrier's route so the eggs spent the last leg of the journey bouncing around in a truck. The other eggs that sat on our kitchen counter for 4 days before incubation had 100% hatch rate.

This reminds me of DS's 4-H project we did a couple years ago. He took the 2 doz eggs you gave us and packed up half for shipping. (You know wrapping each egg in bubble wrap, in center of box with foam peanuts, inside another bigger USPS priority box with more padding to protect the center box.) We dropped it off at the post office 0.5 miles east of our house. Technically a different town than our mailing address.

Those eggs were sent to Chicago, then to the Fox Valley distribution center in Aurora, then to finally our P.O. 1.5 miles from here. We're at the end of our carrier's route so the eggs spent the last leg of the journey bouncing around in a truck. The other eggs that sat on our kitchen counter for 4 days before incubation had 100% hatch rate.
And what was the hatch rate of the over shipped eggs?

Ludwig in lemont
So we know when to stay away 😆
Screenshot_20240208-121751.png

Been a long time... a recently a very rough time.
Lost 6 birds overnight a week ago for no known reason - disease seems most likely as spring is coming in and we are already seeing migratory birds. Several very wet poops found. There were no signs of disease coming on though. It got quickly. Down to 2 herbs from 8. :( Not sure if I will be investing in more or not just yet.

Outside of chickens, I lost my job last month after nearly 13 years with the company. I was in middle management and several of us were let go in a management restructure. Applying and interviewing... and canceled our vacation. Of course I just bought a brand new truck and a used camper. That's just the way it goes I guess.

To top it off, I had to do an emergency home repair after finding I had two base plates and 5 studs rotted out in a load bearing exterior wall. Corner owner was fond of flower beds, and had one located against the house with dirt against siding above the foundation - allowing moisture to get to around the siding and into the sheathing and studs.

In a positive note, gardening season is coming. I always start in late February. We started various tomatoes, bell peppers, several herbs, Swiss chard, kale, lettuce and spinach.

Back
Top Bottom