Illinois...

Hoping for a break in this cold weather again. Stay warm everybody!

It's chick days and I'm debating on getting more birds or not after we lost 6 in one night just a while back. I'm done to one hen (she's from our first group of chickens years ago and named A'hole) and one rooster who was supposed to be a hen and now needs to go anyway.
It wouldn't be good to keep a lone hen, so I should get some more for that reason. I'm not sure though if we want to continue keeping them. Feed isn't cheep these days... I'll likely let the kids decide. (of course I know they'll want more and this group here is going to only persuade me to get more also)

Hoping for a break in this cold weather again. Stay warm everybody!

It's chick days and I'm debating on getting more birds or not after we lost 6 in one night just a while back. I'm done to one hen (she's from our first group of chickens years ago and named A'hole) and one rooster who was supposed to be a hen and now needs to go anyway.
It wouldn't be good to keep a lone hen, so I should get some more for that reason. I'm not sure though if we want to continue keeping them. Feed isn't cheep these days... I'll likely let the kids decide. (of course I know they'll want more and this group here is going to only persuade me to get more also)
Of course you should get more chickens!!!!

I will have some hatching just in time for Easter.....
Also, think about baby poults and ducklings and quail. But, ALWAYS say yes to chickens. ;)

On a serious note, good luck on the job interviews.

a small amount here and there. I was able to join the Carpenters Union Local 10 - got some work building displays and setting up booths for expos at McCormick Place and Navy Pier. Pulled in a few small building projects (installing doors, building a swingset, building stairs, etc.). It's very hit and miss. I'm filling out applications like crazy and have had several interviews - have two scheduled for this afternoon actually. It seems like job posting are increasing again slowly in the tech industry, so I'm hoping that's a good sign and opportunities for work open up. There's been far more people laid off than hired over the past few months in this industry.
Good luck!! Hope you get a job you want !

Back story:
Last year's turkeys were raised with my bantams and for some reason didn't like my LF chickens. They either followed their serama mama and ate up all the bantam feed or they were free-ranging where they spent the bulk of their time chasing chickens. They went to live with @homeschoolin momma, where they preferred the company of her ducks until they learned how to sleep in the trees. Both are female, best friends, and living the good life at her farm.

Funny update:
I went to visit @homeschoolin momma over the weekend. One turkey was already tucked into the tree for the night, but the other came running up to me. She followed me around as we locked up the chickens, and each time I stepped in her direction, she instantly squatted for me to pet her. I think she remembered me because it was getting dark and she continued to follow me across the pasture toward the house. I felt so guilty. Poor dumb turkey was walking farther away from the safety of her tree. I told her to go back but instead, she just squatted. Again and again we repeated this scene for about a half acre. I'd walk away, she'd follow, and when I turned to face her, she'd lay down. At that point I felt it was too dark for her to safely fly up into a tree. There she was playing "sitting duck" in the middle of an open field. I couldn't risk it! I scooped her up and carried my baby all the way back to the chicken coop for the night. She didn't fuss or flap. (Such a sweet turkey hen.) I knew she wouldn't like spending the night with chickens, but she'd be alive.

@Faraday40 yes, she lived and is laying eggs. No chickens were harmed.
IMG_1076.jpg

My neighbor behind me (with the wood fence) snapped thus picture tonight.

Back story:
Last year's turkeys were raised with my bantams and for some reason didn't like my LF chickens. They either followed their serama mama and ate up all the bantam feed or they were free-ranging where they spent the bulk of their time chasing chickens. They went to live with @homeschoolin momma, where they preferred the company of her ducks until they learned how to sleep in the trees. Both are female, best friends, and living the good life at her farm.

Funny update:
I went to visit @homeschoolin momma over the weekend. One turkey was already tucked into the tree for the night, but the other came running up to me. She followed me around as we locked up the chickens, and each time I stepped in her direction, she instantly squatted for me to pet her. I think she remembered me because it was getting dark and she continued to follow me across the pasture toward the house. I felt so guilty. Poor dumb turkey was walking farther away from the safety of her tree. I told her to go back but instead, she just squatted. Again and again we repeated this scene for about a half acre. I'd walk away, she'd follow, and when I turned to face her, she'd lay down. At that point I felt it was too dark for her to safely fly up into a tree. There she was playing "sitting duck" in the middle of an open field. I couldn't risk it! I scooped her up and carried my baby all the way back to the chicken coop for the night. She didn't fuss or flap. (Such a sweet turkey hen.) I knew she wouldn't like spending the night with chickens, but she'd be alive.
That is the mating position. She thinks you could scratch her itch :gig

How many eggs do you want?
They are starting to lay. 3 a day out of 16, so should be a lot more soon

Did you need a riser for the nurture right incubator?
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/products/nurture-right-360-1-5-in-riser

Last edited:
I think I'm going to lose my rooster to a respiratory illness. Noticed yesterday he was making a bit of a honking sound, then I got a call from my neighbor saying she just lost a hen just something similar. Now I have another hen that's just started up. The rooster appears to be alert but I think much sicker than he's showing.:(

Let's play guess that gender!!!
Seramas - 3 weeks old
Let me know if you agree with my predictions.
* Please excuse the messy appearance. They were fed some moistened crumbles and decided to roll in it.

The only dark one is, of course, going to be male. Just my luck
Black (2).jpg

The white one with a bit of buff looks female.
buff (8).jpg

This interesting one was white at hatch but feathers are growing in dark gray. Looks like a male to me.
grey (3).jpg

This one is off-white. Looks very similar to the other one so I keep forgetting about her. This "middle child" looks female.
off white (3).jpg

Female. Here's the baby/runt. I wasn't sure if it would make it because of her smaller size and tired looking eyes. But, she's just slower to mature and keeps up with her siblings and mamas. (2 hens are sharing these babies)
mini white (6).jpg

I think I'm going to lose my rooster to a respiratory illness. Noticed yesterday he was making a bit of a honking sound, then I got a call from my neighbor saying she just lost a hen just something similar. Now I have another hen that's just started up. The rooster appears to be alert but I think much sicker than he's showing.:(
How is he now?

Back
Top Bottom