Illinois...

hit.gif
well congradualtions Bears !
hit.gif

Quote:
Did he show you his ID badge? Or being a certified USDA officer, IF not, then he is full of it.

Many of the birds at the Kankakee swap, either they do have NPIP or not, folks from KY, WI, MI, IN all go to these swaps and you would not believe they would just buy them like you would for food, take them in the back of your van and off you go! Not all folks would ask the breeders if they are NPIP certified and some of them I do noticed, they do have the NPIP papers, ready to be filled out if you buy their birds, and then, they will fill it out for you ONLY if you ASK for it. Some will go for the extra mile and say, would you like to have NPIP papers filled out for you? However MAJORITY of the folks there, are getting cheap birds to EAT or feed their reptiles or whatever they wish to do. I have not yet seen a USDA officer in that place unless they are really good going undercover. Mostly police and sheriff there and some fairground officals (with their tags on).

I have a friend that raises excellent birds and no, she is not NPIP certified but she does buy the BEST she can get and any left overs, she will take them to the swap to be sold.

In the last 10 years of the Kankakee bird swap (We have not missed a single one) There has been state inspecters there one time. They did ask for test papers on poulty, they were checking for scrapie tags in sheep and goats and were hard hitting on people selling puppies...cracking down on puppy mills.

You do not have to be NPIP, you simply are suposed to have your birds blood tested for salmonila, just like for a one day show. Most livestock vets are able to do that for you. You can have them tested in your state, whereever you are coming from. The test is usually good for 90 days. Most testers charge anywhere from 50cents to a dollar per bird to cover the antigen fee ( we charge a dollar)
Then just as if you where coming into a different state for a bird show, sale or swap with birds you have to call the state for an entrance number and you will be fine, no matter who stops you.
Unfortunatly it is red tape, but if you are coming a long way with birds, it is better than getting shut down and sent home. That is all they did to the ones they found at the swap without paperwork...no fines, but still no sales either!

The Kankakee swap has alot of variety, exhibition birds, production birds, etc...You definetly have to look hard for the good stuff. But at the same time, we are close to Chicago with alot of ethnic diversity and they especially like buying thier meat live. It is an excellent butcher market and because of it, prices generally are very good for the sellers. It is an excellent place to sell overrun, extra roosters, culls. Like it or not, we need a market for those things. Not everyone likes to or can afford to knock culls in the head...and you can eat only so much chicken!

I love the swap and will continue to go and sell there. It is too close to home not too!

2011 Kankakee swap dates
Sunday April 3rd
Sunday May 1st
Sunday June 5th
Sunday September 4th
Sunday October 2nd

Hope to see some fellow BYCers there!
Christie
smile.png

Last edited:
You only have to have the birds you are bringing to sell checked, not your whole flock.

It is a very large bird and animal swap. There is every kind of farm animal, house birds, rodents, reptiles, dogs, you name it! Lots of misc. stuff too. Plants, produce, feed, Smith poultry is there to supply all your incubating & equip. needs. It is lots of fun, lots to see. Usually something for everyone.

Sellers fee $10 for a pickup truck or $20 for truck with trailer

Lookers/buyers $2.00 per adult Kids are free

Early bird gets the worm. Gates open usually around 4:30 am.
People sell out fast.

Christie
big_smile.png

Would I need to bring my birds to you to sell to be tested? Or taking them to the Indianapolis show?

I don't mind having NPIP just for a show or sale but not year round. I don't sell enough birds to be worthwhile. Never showed my birds but others have and done successfully!

Let me know....it may be the thing I need to have to show my birds if I decided to go for it. Heck, I have not messed or handled my birds enough. And I would hate to bring home something that would be pretty bad. That is something it weighs on my mind alot.

Unless I sell my show birds to be shown at the IN show and get their eggs, I would be happy LOL!

Quote:
Yep they do sell out FAST!!! I mean they would be gone by the time we get there! By eight am, most of the best animals are gone. Many of the people are meat buyers. If you want to get rid of culls, that is the place you want to get rid of extra roos or culled hens from your flock.

Back
Top Bottom