Illinois...

Pics
Hi everyone. I'm in extreme Southern Illinois, Pope County. Just returned after a 5 year absence and am getting things reorganized. I inherited a small flock of chickens with three Black Jersey Giants, one Rhode Island Red, three Buff Orpingtons, and a rooster of unkown origin (as near as I can tell for the breeds). I am chicken sitting 10 banty hens and one banty rooster. Have one Orpington that is setting right now with an expected hatch date of May 15. I also have a bunch of Cornish cross pullets that were supposed to be straight run heavies (so much for the nearby farm supply store). Gave them another try and have 54 hatchery mix. Looks like they might be Brahman, Australorp or Jersey Giant, Ameracauna, and ?. So many of the different breeds look very much alike when they are chicks. Oh yeah, my sister-in-law got her grandkids two ducks for Easter and guess who ended up with them? That's right, me.
I have enjoyed the forums and they have been most helpful. I am currently expanding the chicken coop and getting ready to fence in the vegetable garden. Hopefully the chickens will stay out since they free range during the day.

Hey!
Im Mandy, AKA babyjo on the yuku board, and live in central illinois. not to far out of peoria about 7 miles by Eureka...
i have over 50 birdies, and at least 20 roosters. if you know anyone who wants some pure bred black, splash, or blue jersey giants, LET ME KNOW!!!
smile.png
i have wwaaaayyyy too many.
roll.png

its great to see so many illinois people here!!!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!!

I had spent a LONG time today trying to log in, when I finally figured out there are two BYC's!! And they look different, but all the titles are the same, so I thought the yuku BYC just got a make over since I had been online....nope, there somehow are TWO!! Anyways, **KristinaBallerinaGirl** over on the yuku board

Anyways, Kristina from SouthWest Chicago burbs signing in....tonight we just burried my most beloved hen, and I wasn't supposed to be getting chicks this year since I am having 6 back surgeries this summer, but I am sorta gearing up to get some in August-September, so we'll see!! (the flock is soooo small now, and I feel so empty)

Looking for some new Welsummers, Marans, and Ameraucanas to add to the current girls this year and retire the old biddies! Oh, plus some normal brown eggers or tinteds, or I was looking at Golden Lakenvelders...tonight I burried my last brown egger, so all I have is all shades of green since I didn't get my Wellys and Marans this March as planned and all my browns have gone to chickie heaven THIS year!! (I'll need a fellow IL chicken momma (or dad) who would want my extra roos of the three breeds I plan on getting, plus the 4th/brown breed since I can't exactly take mine down to the butcher here!!!)

Last edited:
Hello All,

Just wanted to say hi from cental illinois. Actually Manito 25 miles or so southwest of peoria.

New to the forum. Talk to you soon.

Matt

I am in Lincoln Illinois! Between springfield and bloomington. I have 6 acres and lots of critters!!!
I am looking for someone to take a turken before my DH chops his head off!!! I was hoping he was a she!!!! Free!!!! poor little guy has problems being ugly, my DH says! I think he is so ugly he is cute!!!!
turken014.jpg

big_smile.png
Howdy Illinois folks!

I'm from the Galesburg area, another BHE Horse program grad. I saw a couple of those on here.

*waves*

frow.gif
Hello fellow BHE grad! When did you graduate? Not sure if Jon Wolf still teaches there or retired by now. Its been so long when I was a student there. Many changes there too!

As for the turken, I will ask my friend if she needs a turken roo. She got plenty of turken pullets but no turken roos with them.

Howdy folks! Glad to see you all in here!

As for the dark egg colored breeds, I dont have any but expect to grow out some Welsummer chicks right now. It would be a while before I sell them. I got a Welsummer pullet near Wateska for sale and she is the only Welsummer on that farm. PM me if anyone is interested!

Hubby and I graduated in '93, and Jon Wolf was still teaching when I was there. And Donna Irving was the riding instructor. I believe Donna is still there, but Jon retired, and I dont know who else is out there, for awhile there where a few folks out there who graduated around the time I did out there.

Back
Top Bottom