I'm a daddy! But need your folks advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by El Pollo Chicken, Aug 23, 2010.

1. El Pollo Chicken

El Pollo Chicken New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Hiya guys - I've been envying all of your natural born chicks for about 3 years now. A random mother decided to go broody, and wala - today I'm a daddy.

She has set in the lower row of nest boxes...but they are about 2 1/2 feet up from the ground. I'm afraid when they go to leave the nest that some will break their legs or necks.

Here's where I need your advice; do I leave them where they are (and look the other way), or place them in a corner of the chicken shed, or place them in an enclosed shelter I already have setup for 8, two week old chicks I bought from Tractor Supply? Or something else?

Thanks all in advance.

BTW, they are black sex links, in case you need to know their weight.

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I keep a close eye on broodie's if they are in high nest boxes.I currently have one OEGB sitting 10 egg's under a corn crib and check her daily.Even though she is ground level.I will mover her once she hatches at least a couple of the egg's to a safer place along with any unhatched in a penned ground level nest box.I have a Columbian Wyandotte also sitting some egg's but in old horse stall in corner so will most likely leave her there maybe add a lot of fresh hay or pine shavings once she hatches them.I have 2 coops which have high next boxes on a couple of level's.The babie's will get out and the mama will most likely leave any unhatched egg's in the nest to tend the young.My silkie hatched 6 babie's a while back but she abandoned 2 egg's one which died in hatch and one I almost threw out but lucklily heard the peep and finished hatching it in bator.And she sat in a bottom nest box with easy acess for chicks to get in and out.I have a few homemade nest boxes I keep handy for broodie's or new mama's.You can cut a cardboard box front out and put a little hay or shavings in for a makeshift one if you dont have one made.

[​IMG]

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG that is the sweetest pic every![​IMG] So you can just move mom and babies all together to a lower nest?

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I always have with good sucess.I usualy wont bother hen's if they nest in an "unsavory" area until they hatch a few of thier egg's.But don't leave her long or she will try getting the first hatched food and water first.If you have a ledge or something near nesting area you can try a small lid of water and a lil food if the hen is sitting a lot of egg's.If she has done hatched them all I would move her right away.The pic is one of my frizzle hen's last year.That lil hen even hatched a turkey egg too .

5. El Pollo Chicken

El Pollo Chicken New Egg

May 28, 2008
    Well thank you - I took both of your advice. I put some water in a bowl this morning before work and stuck a 2x4 in front in case one of my chicks felt like being Evil Caneveil. This afternoon all was perfectly fine. Had a box and moved em all to ground level! Yea! thank you Backyard Chickens peeps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by