I'm a fairly new chicken Mom named Jana

Statbrat55

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2019
Hey, everyone. I'm still a little new in the game. But I DO get chicken math. BOY DO I. I started with 7 hens and a white one who ended up being the best roo ever, until a neighbors dogs got out and killed 5 of them. I slowly was able to adopt more and had a clutch hatch the end of July and another the end of August. We now have 25. I have a home for the roosters and a few extra hens, and would like to keep 10-12 for eggs.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? About a year ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Please see above.

(3) What breeds do you have? 2 Brown Cochin,1 Leghorn Roo and an Austrolorpe. The babies are a mix. VERY unusual colors and markings. The Roo has a mini me- we often imitate Foghorn Leghorn when we talk to them. There are 2 Austrolorpes who look like Mama but none of the hatchlings are brown like the adult Cochin. One is a grey Cochin and one is a white Cochin. I'm excited to see the variety of eggs they lay.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Who knew you could grow so attached to them!? Our first chickens were VERY friendly, especially the Orpies. I was devastating to lose them as I had hand raised them from pullets. Both clutches of the new chicks were raised by broody's. It was pretty amazing to see what wonderful care they have taken of them. One Mama runs around the pen with a dozen. They just naturally know what the chicks need and when. Hats off to them. So far- we only had one bad egg and 2 chicks that didn't make it. We just built a new coop and covered play area for them. It is quite rainy and damp here in the beautiful PNW. I love sharing our farm fresh eggs with family and friends. It's great to read questions and be able to share chicken stories with fellow flockers. :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love to be outdoors and hanging around the yard. I enjoy all critters and love to garden and have fresh eggs, fruit and veggies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My hubby of 24 years and I relocated to the country where he drives his own logtruck. We have 3 businesses and I am fortunate enough to be semi retired. Our 2 daughters live close by with our 2 grandsons and granddaughter. 1 son is in Texas, one in California and a daughter is in New Mexico with the other 7 grands. We currently have 5 wiener dogs, 3 "feral" cats (ha ha), 2 cockatiels and a forest full of other friends. Thanks for having me aboard.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I think I found this group while asking a chicken question! I am super happy to be here.

smiley-balloons.gif
awesome-intro.gif
smiley-balloons.gif

-byc-happy-rainbow.png

waving.gif
Hello there! What part of the PNW are you from? In my neck of the woods, it sure has been a rainy September so far. Best of luck to you with your growing flock!

Back
Top Bottom