I'm a Happy New Chicken-Mum in Daylesford, Australia

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? (2) How many chickens do you have right now? (3) What breeds do you have?
Yes, I'm new to chickens! My husband and I adopted/rescued four retired isa brown chickens in May 2020. My husband has had previous experience raising chickens, but these are my first chooks.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love my day-to-day interaction with my chickens! I love collecting their eggs! As of today, they have given us 536 eggs (yes, I keep a count). I love photographing my chickens and watching them on their field-trips out of the chook house and into the garden. All four of my chickens will follow my lead to where I want them, and they all follow me when I want them to return to the chook house.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a folk musician/folk artist. I play a mountain dulcimer and sing with my husband. When we perform locally, we call our music/duo Table Hill, named after the road we live on. I am a cockatoo watcher/amateur photographer, as I have loved them since moving to Australia in 2009. Also, I learned to knit a few years ago and enjoy making cardigans and socks. Backyard bird-feeding (along with my new chicken wrangling) activities are a big part of my daily life in Australia.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband, Adrian Kosky, and I live in two countries, as he was born in Australia and I am American. We have residency in both countries and normally travel several times a year, living three months at a time in each place. We live and work and play music in Victoria when we are here -- we own and operate a group accommodation business in a holiday town (Daylesford, the spa capitol of Australia). When we're in America, we live in an old Masonic Temple that we revitalised in Clarksdale, Mississippi -- It has retail and residential spaces for creative people in the downtown historic blues precinct. COVID-19 has stopped our international travel and put our accommodation business on hold until the Victorian government allows international travel and allows groups of people to gather inside homes again.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I love a bonus question when I know the answer! As soon as I knew I was going to become a chicken mum, I looked for information about Isa Brown chickens and found this forum - May 2020. I joined as soon as I could!

View attachment 2351608
View attachment 2351609
View attachment 2351610
View attachment 2351616
Welcome to BYC its a great community to learn from so ask away. I love the way your birds are just hanging out together with out a care in the world

Welcome to the flock :jumpy ! Congratulations on your little family.

For retirees, your girls are working very hard for you! I bet you make music for them and I bet they love it! From your photographs it appears you have created an avian paradise.

Once you’re spending equal time on both sides of the pond, maybe you could have a little stateside flock, as well. 🤗

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, my girls are hard workers still. They were laying four eggs a day way in to winter, which I learned was unusual. I think they are happy! When I look back at pictures I took several months ago, I see that they were not as healthy looking when they arrived. They seem to be in great shape. Egg laying has become a bit more random, with at least one or two per day, but three is their new normal.

It would be great to have an American flock, but I have a city life there in downtown Clarksdale. I've been trying to figure out how I could set up an indoor coop in our building.😂 Unfortunately, it is all building with no extra land. Perhaps a rooftop garden and flock is in my future??😂😂

Back
Top Bottom