**Im a little offended!**

I have a friend who's wife is exactly the same way. She will REFUSE my egg because "it came out of a chicken's butt," but happily buy one from the local grocery store... trucked in from 2,000 miles away.
he.gif
barnie.gif

I was offended.

Then I decided:
smack.gif

More for me! And for people who actually appreciate them.
big_smile.png

- Kim

i know i got my first egg today from petunia my little barred rock. i am pretty sure my family wont want to eat my eggs. cant wait to get enuff to offer. anybody who doesnt want to eat veggies out of the garden if definitely loco. not all those pesticides.

We have a woman in town who refused to pay $3 for my eggs again because........"the shells were too hard to crack" and she can buy them $1 cheaper at the store. Good luck to her and her nasty, flavorless store-bought eggs. I was offended at first as I had just started selling and didn't have a good customer base yet. I quickly got over it and bought more chickens this spring so that I had enough eggs to supply everyone that has switched to farm raised. I have raised my price to $4 (to cover grain) and still run out. My new task is trying to get people to buy the duck eggs. They all turn their nose up at them.
barnie.gif

A funny story to add: My 1 yr old daughter loves our eggs, can't get enough
droolin.gif
One morning we went out to breakfast and I ordered her scrambled eggs, sausage and toast. She took one bite of the egss, spit it out and refused to eat them.
sickbyc.gif

I had someone ask me today if you could milk a chicken, I just looked at him for a second and then, thankfully, he corrected himself by saying wait no they aren't mammals nevermind.. lol.

:eek:Luckly we live on the edge of country in a "big" city (42,000). When my wife returned to school and informed her fellow teachers and staff that I was raising chickens we had plenty of people who wanted eggs. Strange some were supprised that we had no roo. "How do you get eggs without a rooster?" Amazing!
ep.gif
DW's father was a dairy farmer, I worked for him for several years. Part of my pay was in beef. Friends were horrified when my kids refered to there dinner by name. (Done once innocently, then for effect! Oh, Those kids)
love.gif

A friend went into the coup with me to collect the eggs a couple of days after the girls started laying, a RIR stood up dropped a rather nice large brown egg, and the friend swooned, saying she did not know that was where eggs came from. I told her if ya think that is nasty those white eggs come up from the other end. I think I lost an egg customer, but her reaction was truly worth it.

Quote:
Can you imagine us - all of us 2011 folks, as pioneers traveling by covered wagon across the continent for months in every weather & hardship?
No, I really can't imagine too many of us surviving. Sadly we are, as a people of this modern age, so distant from our food that some folks can't eat anything that doesn't come double-wrapped in plastic and cardboard, shipped in a 2, 3 or 4 lb cardboard box in a loaded 18 wheeler from hundreds of miles away. I was just noticing the cottage cheese I WAS used to buying comes from over 900 miles away in California. I'm now buying as local as I can but it takes some effort and perseverance.

My BF has helped me a lot with the chickens, especially with building the coop as he's real strong. He has been the main consumer of the 100+/- eggs I get in a month. Until - - - I got some 10 Marans eggs to hatch. My little Silkie could only cover 6 of them so I had 4 to eat! Yay! Well, he wouldn't touch 'em. "they're BROWN!", UHHH, yeah?

Later when the chickies hatched he wanted to know (seriously) "how is she gonna nurse them?"

This is a college-educated grown man with two grown children. It makes me want to cry. I feel that some people have been robbed. Robbed of contact with reality in a way that leaves them vulnerable. It is sad. I am grateful for my upbringing, thank you Mom & Dad.

Quote:
We've had my daughter do the same thing! I also can no longer order eggs at a restaurant; they look, smell and taste "funny". This morning we had egg sandwiches on home made English muffins with our fresh eggs- worlds away better and cheaper than an egg McMuffin!

I can't imagine someone turning down fresh eggs! I've already got a line of egg customers waiting and most of mine aren't old enough to lay yet, so I'm only getting enough to feed us, my parents and occasionally an extra half dozen or dozen for friends and family at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom