I'm about to give up.... NOT ANY MORE!!! Update on Page 3!!

beerguzzler

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Houston TX
I purchased 11 BR hens and they were supposed to be around 6 months old. That was 7 weeks ago and still no eggs. I purchased 2 Ameraucanas and 1 BO about 5 weeks ago and they were supposed to be about 6 months old. I still have no eggs. I have read many posts echoing my story but dang it is hard waiting after investing all the money to build a coop/run and then buy the chickens, feeders, waterer, etc.

I have been feeding them Purina layer feed and they always have oyster shell available in a seperate feeder. I also "hang out" with them every afternoon for about 15 minutes. During that 15 mins I throw them cracked corn and we chat about our day. They don't say alot but they get the full run down of my day. Maybe they are trying to tell me to stop recanting my boring day.
lol.png

I'll still keep checking everyday.....

Last edited:
Perhaps the combination of moving and adjusting to a new coop and adjusting to new bird friends combined with less daylight hours has created your situation. I would try adding light on a timer. Mine have 13 hours of light and they lay well but I think a lot of people go for 14 hours.

Hhhmmm, never made it to the egg-laying age, so I couldn't say, but perhaps the "cooler" weather along with the move is making them reluctant to lay. The light suggestion may help as well. Enjoy the scintillating conversation with your girls!

Awww, thats sad, but don't give up yet! Are their combs red? Sometimes after a move it does take a month or so to start laying again. My girls lay, and they do not have any extra light time at all.
Keep on talking to them!!

My sex link only has natural light from 7:30-4:30p here in the Seattle area. She just started laying last week. She's laid 4 eggs so far. My other 3 are still moochers but I'm now hopeful that they will start soon.

All of their combs are still pink. My rooster's comb is deep red but he does not do a very good job in the egg laying department.

Hmmmm ...... BEER and EGGS.........the breakfast of champions
celebrate.gif
I would just buy more beer while you wait......... soon you will have too many i'm sure (eggs, not beer) We all get impatient waiting for eggs
barnie.gif

If their combs are still pink, I would say they're not ready to lay yet. Have any of them started squatting yet? Usually they start squatting for the roo a few weeks before they start laying.

I bought 2 Leghorn girls from our local feed mill, who gets them from a local breeder. They told me the girls were 20 weeks, but I think they were full of hot air. A Leghorn would usually be laying by 20 weeks, but these girls had small pink combs. That was 6 weeks ago, they haven't laid any eggs, but their combs are getting larger and redder. I have other hens laying, so I'm not hurting for eggs, but it bothers me that I was lied to.
somad.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom