I'm afraid she won't make it :(

Here's the sick girl... one her left eye is swollen and glued shut.

I can only wait and see what happens now that she's been deloused and is drinking some antibiotics... she's warm and resting, at least. If she makes it I'll be thrilled! If not, then she will at least have known some love and a kind hand before she passed
sad.png

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0014-2.jpg

Thank you for sending her some healing vibes...
fl.gif

ETA - I cannot get any vitamins or meds for her, no vet wants to treat chickens. I offered her scrambled eggs and other yummies but she doesn't want to eat... not sure if she ate any crumbles but she is pooping fine, except for that one drop of bright red blood.

Last edited:
I didn't know that about the vitamins - thank you!

Will go get some tomorrow if she makes the night...
fl.gif

(I'm on foot until then)
fl.gif

BYC is THE most amazing forum ever!

THANK YOU!!

I should have said that the vitamins were available at the Rx - sorry. Be sure to get the Non-iron formula.

I am sure she is feeling better - getting de-loused, warm, and food. If she will not try the eggs (she might not have ever tried anything other than "chicken feed"), you can soak some of her regular feed in warm water (not hot enough to burn - she will burn her crop) and offer it to her. If you have any frozen veggies - run a couple under warm water (peas and corn are usually first favs) until thawed and offer. You can also soak some scratch or any type of seed - I boil water, pour over seeds let soak for 1/2 hour or longer (test to see if I can put my hand in it) then offer.

Healing vibes.

Good vibes to you. I'm going through a similar situation with my hen Martha. Afraid I did not catch her cocci in time and she may not make it through the night. Started her on Sulmet last night but I think she looks worse tonight. Just gave her some scrambled eggs and tried to convince her to try the Poly vi sol. Don't think I got too much in there.

Like you at least she will know that I loved her
sad.png
... I just want to cry...

VTGirl, I am so, so sorry...
hugs.gif

I pray she will make it, sometimes miracles DO happen
fl.gif

that's the trouble with opening your heart to love, it gets stomped on and ripped apart sometimes.

Sigh. Still worth it though....

Please keep us updated?

She might eat some canned cat food. I've had good luck with it when the sick one is being really picky and turns the beak up at eggs. I'm sorry she's not doing well. I've been following your other thead and have been really hoping that she'd turn around with the tlc. Here's a link to a "poop page." If she does have cocci, and given everything else it wouldn't surprise me, she needs treatment asap for it because it will take them quick when they have a bad case of it. I use corid, but I've read it's hard to find in some areas (feed store here) so you could also use sulmet. Good luck with all of them.

http://happyhenhouse.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=poop&action=display&thread=7588

Last edited:
sorry Technodoll I did not mean to hijack your thread
sad.png
Thank you for the sincere thoughts..

Her poop is def. Cocci Kittymomma. I wanted to start Cordid but could not find it locally so had to settle for Sulmet (started last night) I have a can of cat food in the cupboard I will open.. she is so very thin.

In hindsight I think I missed some signs of the disease in her earlier which depresses me even more.. I'll do my best for her. And I agree with Technodoll.. Don't know what I would do without everyones help. This forum rocks!

I have some canned dog food on hand, will try a bit of that tomorrow morning - thanks!

I don't think it's cocci as the symptoms don't match... I checked every poop from both EE's since they're in the house and they are normal (except for that one mysterious drop of bright red blood that stained a piece of woodchip bedding). All has been clear since.

The girls are eating and drinking, but are both very sleepy.

They've been through a lot and come from a stressful environment so I assume this compounds the lice issue, etc.

Maybe the antibiotics are hard at work, too...

fl.gif

will update tomorrow!

PS: VTGirl, hijack all you want - I'm learning here too and sharing the pain
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom