I'm almost finished with "El Cheapo Coop"

silentrunning

Songster
12 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Venice, Florida
I decided to make a coop out of what I could scrounge up. I finally had to purchase some items to make it happen. My purchases were: 3 pressure treated 2X4s for the base, A pack of 3-1/2” screws, a small roll of ¼” hardware cloth, 1 sheet of plywood and a gallon of redwood stain. Total cost under $40. The rest was scrounged up from work, a couple of the factories nearby and a trip to the landfill.

The basic frame was made from the 3 pressure treated 2X4s and some scrap 2X4s.

100_1215.jpg

All the rest was from junk wood and skids.

100_1217.jpg

100_1218.jpg

100_1219.jpg

100_1222.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1224.jpg

All I have left is to finish the ridge vent and get rid of the 2" chicken wire on the sides. Keeping the birds cool was my main consideration so I have lots of ventelation including under the facia board. I still may add a couple muffin fans to aid in cooling. The residents will be my 2 Cochin pullets and 2 B.R. pullets. Inside the coop is an Oak branch for roosting. I will have an automatic waterer in the top and bottom. My next project will be to build this from purchased materials so I can figure a cost. (Also it might be straighter when you use good wood.)

Doug

Those are old closet racks. The locks are made from old Christmas yard ornaments.
smile.png
I said it was a cheapie. On the coop part I covered the racks with 1/4" hardware cloth so the coons can't get their hands in there while the chickens sleep. When they get close to laying age, I'll put some outboard nesting boxes on it.

Doug

Hi! Great looking coop.

Would you mind me asking the LxW? I'm getting 3 silkies and wanting to build a little separate coop just for them. Yours looks perfect!
Brandy

I absolutely love this and I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to steal your idea. LOL

I have 3 gold laced cochin banty's that I want to make a coop for. I also have some silkies and some polish. These little coops would be perfect to keep them separated.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom